Stinky Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 27, 2012
How can I get rid of the horrible stink from my DD's glove? I used it the other day and my hand smelled so bad I almost puked.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She has bacteria in it, that would be the smell. Put it in a plastic bag any place it in the freezer, over night.

After the bacteria is killed, always wear a batting glove, xprotex glove or small microsoft sponge between the palm and her glove. Then all you have to do is wash the sponge, or batting glove.

Good luck.

Jun 1, 2013
Does the same work for batting gloves? I swear I have girls on the team with the worst smelling batting gloves and feet! It is absolutely horrible. Before I realized the source of the problem I was smelling myself, checking my shirt for something I may have on it. Finally after I have smelled checked everything I had on one of the dads mentioned how bad his daughter's glove stunk. They would take her gloves off lay it on a towel in the floor of car, throw a car deodorizer on top of it to get home. It was awful.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
She has bacteria in it, that would be the smell. Put it in a plastic bag any place it in the freezer, over night.

I've had some luck with the freezer method. Just be careful when you take it out. The leather might be brittle and if you bend it, it might crack. Let it thaw out before using it!

There are deodorizers made for leather hockey gloves and equipment. Google should point you to several different ones.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
The general thing is to keep it from retaining moisture for the bacteria to grow. If it doesn't air out and dry between uses, it becomes a petri dish. Certain times of the year and parts of the country, drying on its own isn't an option.

I'd love to see a softball bag entirely made of kevlar mesh for ventilation.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
The batting gloves need laundered. If they are expensive leather, hand wash them and air dry. But, with my kid's cheap ones, I threw them in with the laundry.

All of that stuff needs washed. I just went over this, this AM about a student's chest protector. I had to tell her mom "throw that in the laundry."

I even washed my ball bag, at the car wash recently.

I am not a clean nick at all. I just prefer no odors.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
What Amy says. I literally posted the same thing about 2 years ago. DD started wearing a glove inside her glove. Works...funny thing though...she likes the smell. I catch her sniffing her glove hand after practice/game. Weirdo. -_-

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30