stepping out of batters box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Candice Beards

Forever a terp!
Jul 13, 2014
Playing softball collegiately, and actually being a slapper as well as a power hitter. The lefties tended to wipe away the lines in the front of the batters box as well as the side line closest to the plate. Just a tip for anyone who are practicing there girls to slap.

Dec 19, 2012
A couple of years ago in HS ball a slapper from the other team asks for time and wipes away the entire front line and about a third of the inside line with her foot. The umpire promptly gave her a strike and a warning for unsportsmanlike conduct and requested the batters box be relined. The other coach went ballistic! The umpire tells the coach that the player cannot purposely erase a line on the field and if she did it again she would be ejected. I know a player cannot purposely alter the field lines but I do not know what the consequences are supposed to be.

Candice Beards

Forever a terp!
Jul 13, 2014
A couple of years ago in HS ball a slapper from the other team asks for time and wipes away the entire front line and about a third of the inside line with her foot. The umpire promptly gave her a strike and a warning for unsportsmanlike conduct and requested the batters box be relined. The other coach went ballistic! The umpire tells the coach that the player cannot purposely erase a line on the field and if she did it again she would be ejected. I know a player cannot purposely alter the field lines but I do not know what the consequences are supposed to be.

I have heard of that happening in travel ball but it has never really happened in college ball. My advice would not to purposely do it that it is so noticeable but make it part of the hitting routine to sweep the chalk!

Jun 22, 2008
Playing softball collegiately, and actually being a slapper as well as a power hitter. The lefties tended to wipe away the lines in the front of the batters box as well as the side line closest to the plate. Just a tip for anyone who are practicing there girls to slap.

Illegal in both college and high school with the penalty of a strike. Here is the college rule.

2.15.3 A coach shall not intentionally remove any required lines on the field nor
intentionally cover the pitcher’s or home plate.
EFFECT—The umpire shall issue a warning to the offending coach.
Subsequent violation by the same individual shall result in
ejection.
2.15.4 A player shall not intentionally remove any lines on the field nor
intentionally cover the pitcher’s or home plate. A.R. 2.15.4: Deliberately
covering a line with infield material is considered removing the line.
EFFECT—A strike shall be called on the batter if the offense intentionally
violates the rule, and a ball shall be awarded to the batter if the
defense intentionally violates the rule.

As I recall there is also wording in the ASA rules about purposely removing lines, but it does not provide for a penalty strike.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Had a right handed batter lay down a drag last week to move a runner. Blue called her out for stepping over the chalk at contact. My argument was that it was the 5th inning and the chalk had been gone for an hour???
He said it was a judgment that her toes looked awful close to the plate.
How do you bust a kid for stepping out of a box that isn't there?!?!?
I think its a ticky tack rule, but if its one that's going to be enforced, the boxes should be rechalked at the top of every inning or as needed.

Jun 22, 2008
The lines of the batters box exist regardless of if the lines are still on the field or not. But, if they are gone the benefit of the doubt should be given to the batter.

As for the situation you just described, the rule says a foot "completely" outside the lines of the batters box. The inside line of the batters box is only 6" from the plate and even girls with tiny feet they are longer than 6". Not sure I see a foot completely outside the box based on the comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes