step-by step instruction basics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
The grip you describe would that line door knockers up, front knuckles to back, or split the difference? also on some of the rotational hitting sites they say not to use the wrist for whip or at least not to use them until after contact. I cannot not tell from video but it feels like it happens right at contact . I always had to use feel until some of you guys have posted slow motion video. Also the clinics hitter speaks of, will there be more throughout the year and if so what locations? I appreciate the knowledge on this site Ive learned so much and confirmed so much since discovering.

May 7, 2008
my kids have had success with knees over toes (meaning keeping weight over balls of feet), back is fairly straight (NO bending in the waist), hands at shoulder height with elbows down in a 'V' position. One of the most important body parts no one has mentioned is the head. Without the head in the proper position, with both eyes (by default 'nose) on the ball through connection. This is the hardest thing to teach and it is really only learned from repetition, repetition, repetition! All of these very important ideas everyone has talked about would be best learned and muscle memory created by the use of a tee. Once mastered on a tee, then soft-toss, then front-toss. Stay off a pitching machine until all ideas (here and above) have been fairly well understood and practiced.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
my kids have had success with knees over toes (meaning keeping weight over balls of feet), back is fairly straight (NO bending in the waist), hands at shoulder height with elbows down in a 'V' position. One of the most important body parts no one has mentioned is the head. Without the head in the proper position, with both eyes (by default 'nose) on the ball through connection. This is the hardest thing to teach and it is really only learned from repetition, repetition, repetition! All of these very important ideas everyone has talked about would be best learned and muscle memory created by the use of a tee. Once mastered on a tee, then soft-toss, then front-toss. Stay off a pitching machine until all ideas (here and above) have been fairly well understood and practiced.

The head is discussed in a thread how to track the ball.

If you are working with females it is critical to assure the waist is slightly bent first and then soften the knees next. Try a simple test. Just tell them what you always do...then gently push on their back and chest and see if they rock back and forth on their heels? Unless you bend at the waist first and then soften the knees next you will not engage the core. This is missing when the throw, field, run and hit in most females. Again a simple test to confirm it only works one way...soften the knees first and then bend at the waist and you should be able to push them off balance easily.

Look at their throwing techniques and see if the back leg releases from the ground and their throwing hand finishes on the glove side thigh to assure a proper weight shift and you wiull be amazed at how their hitting improves.

Thanks Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Not just females.

Mark I was trying to point out because we primarily work with females and that their spines are more erect than the males which are tilted more forward that a little more bending at the waist is usually more for the girls than it is style for the boys. Manny looks more like a girl as to how far he bends over than lets say Chipper Jones. You are correct they must all be bent at the waist however it is to what degree for each person.

Thanks Howard

Oct 25, 2009
The purpose of bending at the waist first, then softening the knees is to keep the weight off of the backside. It achieves an agility-type balance--not a solid foundational balance. It is a balance that allows one to move quickly to another position, i.e.

If one is nudged from the back it only makes sense that they would more easily fall forward. The same would hold true if nudged from the front--they should more easily fall backward.

If they are so solid they can't be moved, they are not on the balls of their feet. And they will move into the next position more slowly.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
The purpose of bending at the waist first, then softening the knees is to keep the weight off of the backside. It achieves an agility-type balance--not a solid foundational balance. It is a balance that allows one to move quickly to another position, i.e.

If one is nudged from the back it only makes sense that they would more easily fall forward. The same would hold true if nudged from the front--they should more easily fall backward.

If they are so solid they can't be moved, they are not on the balls of their feet. And they will move into the next position more slowly.

I hope we can disagree as this is the most balanced position we have ever used and is recommended by the certified trainers and kinesilogist. If you will observe the shoe heels will be on the ground HOWEVER the heel of the foot is off the shoes. Take your shoes off and lift your heels and have some one put paper under your heels and bend at the waist and soften the knees and see if the paper can be pulled out. Now do it out of sequence by softening the knees and bending at the waist and we will push you over front or back. This is considered to be an athletic position.

By loading in the sequence described you will not fall over backwards or forwards and will be able to balance using the balls of your feet and your core.

What are you considering the back side?

Thanks Howard

May 12, 2008
Mark I was trying to point out because we primarily work with females and that their spines are more erect than the males which are tilted more forward that a little more bending at the waist is usually more for the girls than it is style for the boys. Manny looks more like a girl as to how far he bends over than lets say Chipper Jones. You are correct they must all be bent at the waist however it is to what degree for each person.

Thanks Howard

Manny looking like a girl. Now there's a disturbing thought.

Oct 25, 2009
I hope we can disagree as this is the most balanced position we have ever used and is recommended by the certified trainers and kinesilogist. If you will observe the shoe heels will be on the ground HOWEVER the heel of the foot is off the shoes. Take your shoes off and lift your heels and have some one put paper under your heels and bend at the waist and soften the knees and see if the paper can be pulled out. Now do it out of sequence by softening the knees and bending at the waist and we will push you over front or back. This is considered to be an athletic position.

By loading in the sequence described you will not fall over backwards or forwards and will be able to balance using the balls of your feet and your core.

What are you considering the back side?

Thanks Howard

I agree with the sequencing. I'm just saying that it's a light-on-your-feet type of balance; as opposed to thinking of it as a hard-to-move balance.

I'm thinking if they can't be easily moved their heels just might be too heavy on the ground.

We used to use a 1-inch thick pine board under their heels. I do like the bend at the waist, then knees, method better.

What I consider the backside is the butt side. Like you've said, in effect, if you soften the knees first the weight will be on your backside.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1