step-by step instruction basics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
There seems to be a lot of great info and knowledgeable instructors on this site. My question is . when teaching 8-10 yr olds hitting what is a step by step cookie cutter approach that can be the basis for all hitters to learn from.(stance, load, swing, etc). something simple. I know some kids will differ in areas.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I can think of a few to get started.
In this order bend at waist just soften knees. Weight will go out to balls of feet and they will be in an athletic stance.

Knees inside of feet on set up - easy to remember and from there you can play with the width of stance and what is confortable
Look in mirror and draw a line from knees to ground. Knees inside of feet.

Top of hand - top of shoulder. Good generic place for were to hold the bat.

Think throwing - step out and seperate.
Throwing is hitting, hitting is throwing.

Hope this helps

Straightleg

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Lots of truth there and it's true there are certain things common to every good swing. Certain postures as Straightleg refers to, good rotation, connecting that rotation in a manner that produces a whip/uncocking of the wrists right before contact. But...I'd resist fitting every kid into a cookie cutter because, just as elite hitters display differences in how they manifest these principles, so too do kids have different tendencies. I'd prefer to work with each kids tendencies trying to get them more efficient and effective today than they were yesterday but not as good as they are going to be tomorrow.

I should add as an aside, while there is much that throwing and hitting have in common (which shouldn't be surprising since both use the same body to produce force), there are also important differences. But that's a subject for another thread.

Last edited:
R

RayR

I can think of a few to get started.
In this order bend at waist just soften knees. Weight will go out to balls of feet and they will be in an athletic stance.

Straightleg

I get better results from explaining that the waist is at the top of the pelvis and the hips are where the leg and pelvic meet. Bending at the hips is a sitting action. Bending at the waist is slouching. Otherwise this is good starting point.

BTW, this works just as good when doing fielding drills.

Oct 12, 2009
I get better results from explaining that the waist is at the top of the pelvis and the hips are where the leg and pelvic meet. Bending at the hips is a sitting action. Bending at the waist is slouching.

Good point.

Part of the thing is that you can still lock out your knees if you just focus on bending at the waist.

R

RayR

Yeah, I find the knees are a no teach if they bend at the hips by sitting.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I get better results from explaining that the waist is at the top of the pelvis and the hips are where the leg and pelvic meet. Bending at the hips is a sitting action. Bending at the waist is slouching. Otherwise this is good starting point.

BTW, this works just as good when doing fielding drills.

The guy says 8-10 year olds I doubt they know what a pelvis is.

Bend at waist - soften knees is simple

Straightleg

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Lots of truth there and it's true there are certain things common to every good swing. Certain postures as Straightleg refers to, good rotation, connecting that rotation in a manner that produces a whip/uncocking of the wrists right before contact. But...I'd resist fitting every kid into a cookie cutter because, just as elite hitters display differences in how they manifest these principles, so too do kids have different tendencies. I'd prefer to work with each kids tendencies trying to get them more efficient and effective today than they were yesterday but not as good as they are going to be tomorrow.

I should add as an aside, while there is much that throwing and hitting have in common (which shouldn't be surprising since both use the same body to produce force), there are also important differences. But that's a subject for another thread.

well most of the kids I work with have had little instruction and the cookie cutter approach might not be optimal but it might give me a base to work from. Do you have any video of the whip/uncocking of the wrist? your post and videos have taught me alot.

R

RayR

The guy says 8-10 year olds I doubt they know what a pelvis is.

Bend at waist - soften knees is simple

Straightleg

Just trying to help. My 10 YO can figure it out. I assume that you would tell them to feel where the bone stops to show them the waist and then show them where the leg bone meets the hip bone to show them where they should be bending. I have them pick up their leg to show the hip joint and where the bending is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1