Steel Cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2009
Hi All,

Our team is making the jump this year to the next level and it will be our first exposure to metal cleats. I've tried doing some research but haven't found much on the defensive side for things to teach, things to avoid, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not much to teach, I would just recommend practicing in them a couple of times before you start playing games in them.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Your pitcher will love them. You should look at your infielders to make sure they cover bases correctly and don't block the bag with their feet, or they will learn about stitches. Your catcher should be fine with a normal slide, but in the beginning some girls seem to slide with the foot high. I know some coaches teach the girls to keep the feet up when sliding to prevent the ankle injuries from the cleats digging in during a slide.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Hi All,

Our team is making the jump this year to the next level and it will be our first exposure to metal cleats. I've tried doing some research but haven't found much on the defensive side for things to teach, things to avoid, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

- Don't walk on concrete when you can avoid it
- Practice in them a few times before playing in them especially base running. They dig in hard which can mean more speed and tighter turns but also puts more pressure on the body as you do this.
- Double check sliding techniques
- Pitchers love them to dig in and push - unexpected speed often leads to high pitches so again make sure they adjust or are aware.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Don't use them on field turf. Most places now won't let you after some broken ankles. Only issue we have had over the years is when kids come running into the bench and try to stop hitting the concrete ! All my players love them when its wet outside or in this area with all the clay fields.

Jul 1, 2010
- Don't walk on concrete when you can avoid it
- Practice in them a few times before playing in them especially base running. They dig in hard which can mean more speed and tighter turns but also puts more pressure on the body as you do this.
- Double check sliding techniques
- Pitchers love them to dig in and push - unexpected speed often leads to high pitches so again make sure they adjust or are aware.

LOL, I think that is the primary reason DD jumped on wearing them at her first eligible tournie! She just loves the clickety-clack.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
DGD, a catcher, did not use hers until the first game. Seems like she wanted them to look good and did not want to get them dirty. Once she had them on, she loved them, especially on the sandy fields she played on, she said she felt like she had more control of her feet. Not a fast runner, but after the first game she ask everybody, "Did you see how fast I was running?";)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi