Starting new 14U travel team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BayleeM23

Baylee Meyer
Aug 6, 2015
Hi everyone, my name is Baylee and I am a softball player at Columbia State in TN. I am looking to start a new 14U travel team in this area for the summer of 2016. I am looking for advice on how to get started with this, such as how to go about organizing tryouts, finding tournaments, advertising, and so on. Any advice would be very helpful to me, as I have only coached 10U and 12U rec softball. My email is bayleem23@gmail.com if you would like to contact me that way. Thanks in advance!

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Hi Baylee. I'm not at all familiar with what 14u is like in TN but I know around here it would be incredibly tough to jump in at the 14u level unless you already have solid core of players ready to join and are just looking to add a few pieces and tie some loose ends. We actually had a popular former University of Washington player try to start a 12u team this last year in a pretty well respected organization and the team ended up folding because (at least what I heard) they couldn't recruit enough quality players. Basically, what I'm saying really make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before you commit.

As far as real advice I'd try to get with an organization who can help you with all the details or at least a local mentor because the way things work are pretty regionally different.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
As far as real advice I'd try to get with an organization who can help you with all the details or at least a local mentor because the way things work are pretty regionally different.

This is good advice. Finding someone who can mentor you in your first coaching position is important. I personally think it is hard for a young adult to jump into being a head coach and learning to deal with parents while they are also learning to coach and administrate a team. I would suggest starting as an assistant coach for a team in an organization large enough that you might be able to take a team the following year.

May 17, 2012
You would be better off finding an existing 12u that is moving their core up to 14u. Starting from scratch is tough; you are competing against (typically) dads that have daughters that play and they know all of the players on other teams (recruiting).

If you can find a coach that is ready to turn his daughter over to you and can help you recruit you will be better off.

Get yourself some pitching and you have a chance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez