Stake down pitching rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
I'm looking at stake down pitching rubber I would appreciate any Ideas . I don't like the one with the 3 spikes underneath.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For some reason Play it Again Sports is the only store in our area that I have seen selling them.

I use the 3 spike ones to permanently attach to something; they do not work if you want to keep putting the plate down and pulling it back up.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is one the has metal coming off of the sides and that pins down. I don't know if it is any better than what you have, though.

I take the one that you have and drill 3 holes in it. The holes need to be recessed. Then, I purchase 3 "Texas Tacks." They are 6 inche nails, sort of. Put the rubber down using those and you can pull it up all that you want. Also, if this is just for your DD or team practice, I bought a white board and had it cut in 18 inch sections. That gave me 4 "rubbers." (Yes, I know a rubber is 24 inches.)

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
What is the reason for not liking the 3 pin rubber?

I had one when I pitched baseball that my dad made for my backyard mound. It had two solid plates with about 4 or 5 round braces between the plates, the rubber bolted to top plate with the carriage bolt heads recessed below top of rubber. His reasoning was for reducing movement of the rubber.

Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
they do not work if you want to keep putting the plate down and pulling it back up.
We move it around depending where we practice and it doesn't work well for that. The ones with the metal off the sides look like they might work. Amy I like your idea with the wood

Last edited:

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
I have used the one with metal brackets on each side and a thick spike through each bracket. It is still in good shape, I would buy another one. I don't recall the brand name.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What I do since my DD is a pitcher and I carry a mound.I take the mound and it was the one with the 3 screw in spikes.I removed the spikes,don't use.I then took my drill and drilled 2 holes at each end,maybe 1-2in from the ends.I went to home depot and bought 2 galvinized spikes 5,6,or 7in ...ect long.I carry a hammer and take the spikes and put in the holes(the same size as the drilled holes) and drive into the ground.I then use the same claw hammer that I drove the spikes into the ground to remove the spikes.I have been using this process/mound for a long time.Works for us.Hope it works for you.Mound will not move when using.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The pitching rubbers that have the wings on the side are the easiest to put down and pick up. Those with the 3 spikes underneath can be a pain - they don't always go into the grond flat, and the spikes can come up through the rubber over time. Here's the one I bought from Longstreth 3 years ago ( OFFICIAL SIZE PITCHING RUBBER WITH SPIKES-longstreth). If you ever lose the spikes, just go to Home Depot for replacements.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom