Sqishing the Bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I have seen many over the years. Just putting a ball by the back heel so the hitter can see if they kick it out. PLace a bucket or a concrete block by back foot. Heck you can use a cheap door stop.

Aug 20, 2013
Apologies to the pros once again. Just trying to offer a visual for what was meant with the tennis balls.

GG

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
LoL... I was thinking of the SAME video as I watched the drill GG posted. I would have referenced this...but I've been pretty vocal on my support of the Justin Stone material... I don't want anyone thinking I'm related to him, or work for Elite.

I like that vid because it is short, untechnical, and simple to understand.

Bug squishing is free spinning of the rear leg, or basically inefficient use of the rear leg.

Coil like shown in the video and you should feel force across the surface of the ground at your foot. You foot should feel like it wants to spin out (toes spin out toward catcher). Don't let the foot spin out, but let the force be sent back up the leg.

Jul 17, 2012
Apologies to the pros once again. Just trying to offer a visual for what was meant with the tennis balls.

GG

Bahhh Pros? Where? lol I've done more research, reading, watching than any one person should do recently and I'm still clueless...but my head is expoding with a whole lot of info right now, not only to help my DD, but my entire team. Coach a rec team as well as a new travel team.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
My daughter (age 10) had the squish the bug disease REALLY bad. We tried everything, but the one thing that helped her the most to move her throwing motion to the bat swing was to actually throw the bat. It took no time before she understood what I wanted to see. Then we could actually start working on the swing from the ground up.

[video=youtube_share;VsI7jYpHqsY]http://youtu.be/VsI7jYpHqsY[/video]

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My daughter (age 10) had the squish the bug disease REALLY bad. We tried everything, but the one thing that helped her the most to move her throwing motion to the bat swing was to actually throw the bat. It took no time before she understood what I wanted to see. Then we could actually start working on the swing from the ground up.

[video=youtube_share;VsI7jYpHqsY]http://youtu.be/VsI7jYpHqsY[/video]

Makes sense to me.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For my DD (8yo, at the time), the "kick drill" and "walk-through" drill helped her understand the feel of striding and driving the rear hip properly. I've had some luck with the "kick drill" on my DD's 10U rec team, too.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

GG

No apology necessary. That actually looks like a great drill for girls to understand where the weight and tension should be at load and toe touch. Not sure if it would introduce the issues that frozenrope is raising in his post or not but the concept of where the weigh and tension should be is important and often difficult for younger girls to grasp.

Feb 7, 2013
Sometimes I feel "squish the bug" gets a bad rap. When working with beginning hitters, a lot of kids have an all upper body swing and the back foot doesn't move at all. Giving them a simple cue such as squish the bug and turn the hips improves the sequence of the swing by getting the lower body involved and engaged in the swing. Very few young hitters that I have seen actually keep their weight back and just spin on the back foot which I think we all agree is not ideal. My 7YO DS hitting coach will sometimes remind my son to turn the back foot and hips when he forgets to get his lower body involved in the swing. The coach is also My 11 YO DD hitting instructor who never mentions "squish the bug" to her because she already gets off the back foot well so its a no-teach. So if the cue "squish the bug" helps some young hitters start engaging the lower body, so be it.

I will tell you that many team coaches out there still teach keep the weight back on the back foot throughout the whole swing, which I think is worse and precludes the back foot from turning with the hips. Every listen to Michelle Smith analyze the swing? Her mantra is "keep the weight back" and swing "short to the ball". :confused:

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Squish the bug is alive...

Another site has a thread on this issue...We were at a high level showcase and there was a team where a lot of the ladies were still using this style... It works for the player with speed just looking for contact and trying to push the D.

Our teams trained more RVP but slapper/bunters will/can utalize some of the squish the bug techniques.
I would not recommend it but have been around long enough to know there is not one style for all hitters....

Do you have any examples of top-level hitters (softball or baseball) who "squish the bug"? IMO, it's time for the damned bug to die.

I agree that there is not one style for everyone, but there are some absolutes that are common with every style.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors