Sprinkler heads in Infield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
Do any of you have experience using the pop-up sprinkler heads behind the plate pitching circle? they look like they would be a great, no-brainer solution for dust control in the IF, do they work as well as connecting a sprinkler to an in-ground hydrant (which is what we currently have) Any recommendations for or against?
Thanks

May 23, 2015
I'm posted several times on here that I do rehab on fields for fun. Sprinkler heads are great If they are done properly. The best place to put them is about 5' behind the pitcher's plate.

The biggest issue you have putting one in after the fact is the trench that you will make to install it. In the past we have opted to trench through the grass making a straight line through 2nd base to the sprinkler head.It's less intrusive Especially if the Person installing it is it good at compacting the dirt. You will see the trench line for years and it will affect play

What do you mean by hooking it up to a hydrant? Straight to the municipal fire hydrant or to a meter?

Feb 8, 2019
I'm posted several times on here that I do rehab on fields for fun. Sprinkler heads are great If they are done properly. The best place to put them is about 5' behind the pitcher's plate.

The biggest issue you have putting one in after the fact is the trench that you will make to install it. In the past we have opted to trench through the grass making a straight line through 2nd base to the sprinkler head.It's less intrusive Especially if the Person installing it is it good at compacting the dirt. You will see the trench line for years and it will affect play

What do you mean by hooking it up to a hydrant? Straight to the municipal fire hydrant or to a meter?

Yard Hydrant is what engineers call an outdoor water spigot.
we currently have a hose connection that I was referring to as a hydrant, under a coverplate behind the pitching plate . I was thinking about changing it to a pop-up sprinkler head that pops up and waters the infield when activated- not unlike the smaller irrigation heads you see in residential an commercial applications.

didn't know if anyone here had experience with those.

Oct 26, 2019
Sprinkler heads in the dirt are always tough. The small grains and turface get into it and mess it up. Way better to have them in the grass from a durability standpoint. I like the High pressure firehouse option with the quick connect - way less to go wrong and you can power wash your lips of the infield a few times of year with it as well

May 23, 2015
Yard Hydrant is what engineers call an outdoor water spigot.
we currently have a hose connection that I was referring to as a hydrant, under a coverplate behind the pitching plate . I was thinking about changing it to a pop-up sprinkler head that pops up and waters the infield when activated- not unlike the smaller irrigation heads you see in residential an commercial applications.

didn't know if anyone here had experience with those.
Personally I would stick with what you have. You have more versatility with a spigot. I didnt think you had anything.

I not an irrigation guy I always manage to find one to volunteer.. I would assume that you would have to run low voltage for a solenoid to trigger the head. Also you'll have to be concerned about the diameter of the pipe in the ground and how much flow you have. If I recall correctly it take a horse of a waterline to cover the infield with a single pop up

I would get a 1 in red rubber garden hose and a fire nozzle.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
(the story of a unicorn)
USC playing field had on it a circular ceramic guard around the sprinkler directly behind home plate. About two feet from the backstop, raised above ground an inch or so...
Yeah...dont do that! ;)

Jul 29, 2016
(the story of a unicorn)
USC playing field had on it a circular ceramic guard around the sprinkler directly behind home plate. About two feet from the backstop, raised above ground an inch or so...
Yeah...dont do that! ;)

It would probably only bother the catcher though.

Nov 20, 2016
Virginia
Dust control is best achieved by proper moisture level throughout the skinned surface. Simply sprinkling before a game is doing nothing as it will dry out in no time and forms a hard top surface.
Flood the field the night before and let it soak. Nail drag that morning and then groom drag before game time.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
We played at a complex this summer that had it like that. They would run it immediatly after the games and it was perfect. To reach the whole IF, they did reach into the dugouts but they took 2-3 passes and heavily watered the dirt then they did a quick drag and re-line. They were nice fields.

The heads were the 3-4” plastic, flat heads with covers that popped up and the water came out in a single spray that could reach the grass and behind the plate pretty far.

Kind of like this one.FD4D5B0A-A638-4547-B7EB-2300F6328ADB.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi