Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Clarification on the striped ball--the stripe does not have to spin perfectly, but should help you see how the ball is spinning. It's fun to see that perfect line--but not necessary.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
i think we will try moving her fingers around a little and see how that goes.
amy how important is it to master that spinner? it is very hard to do. when she tries to throw a riseball,she gets alot of spin,but it's bullet spin? and we tried the spinner this week and she had a very good spin sometimes? BUT,it was like a bullet spin with a spinner? hard to describe it? but the spinner was coming in but spinning ? 3-9 i guess? bullet spin ?

Feb 5, 2010
gmv,

Try the double ball for the rise AWESOME tool for teaching the rise. She will get the instant feedback that she needs. My DD's coach would like her to throw her drop (peel) with three fingers but she struggles getting tight spin. She likes the feel of 2 fingers and seems to be doing well so that is what she does for now. Ken, why wouldn't you strive for true tight spin? I can see a difference when the wobble is out of the line. No disrespect intended, but don't you feel that tight spin works better and that should be the goal? Or does it truely not matter?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
You can have perfect spin without the stripe spinning perfectly. It would be difficult to adjust the stripe for perfect alignment for every pitch. It's fun to see the stripe spin perfectly, but it's the ball that needs to spin well--not the stripe. Ultimately the speed of the spin, the spin axis being perpendicular to the direction of travel and direction of the spin are what are important.

A ball cannot have a wobble spin. A gyroscope's (a ball's) axis cannot change once it is in flight, without something else acting on it. As long as the spin speed is good, the axis is perpendicular to the target and the angle of the axis (or spin direction) is good, then that's the goal.

Hope that made sense,
Ken

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2010
Ken,
Thanks for explaining, I guess I was viewing the ball as though it were a spinner and hoping for the same. DD is very good at getting a straight line, without even looking at the ball or line, kind of freaky. This raises another question for me now. She is able to throw with 12/6 (my view) 99% of the time. She throws with 2 fingers and I think it is time to start working on a cutter. What should I be looking for in the stripe, I know someone will want to give me the short answer "movement", thats not what I'm looking for here. She is a lefty so logic tells me 10/4, would that be correct?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The ball should spin just like the spinner, but not necessarily the stripe. Remember the stripe is a visual reference that can help you see the spin. If you can see the axis point from straight on, the spin axis is not perpendicular to the direction of travel and not getting the full Magnus Effect.

I'm not really into "cutters," but my preference would be a spin direction that is about 1:30-7:30 from the catchers view, with the axis perpendicular to the catcher. Spin direction looks like / That's cutting down and in for a righty. I've heard some are happy with a 12/6 spin but an axis that is turned towards the hitter. I consider this a weak spin, but some call this a cutter and like the result.

For a pitch that cuts towards a lefty, switch everything and spin direction is like\

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2011
Columbus IN
I have a student who can hit 36-38 on revfire, topping out at 38.4. If she just holds the ball in her hand, without pitching, she can barely spin it. I have always told them to use there fingers to spin the ball, but she has me rethinking some of that. I think finger action alone does nt do much without good whip and ir. But i do think finger action starts the action.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I believe that the centrifugal force of the whip generates more spin than the fingers do. While the fingers are important and touch the ball last, the "whip" of the arm is what generates a lot of spin.

May 10, 2010
I believe spin comes from strong fingers,strong wrist, and arm speed. But some pitchers especially young ones forget to utilize the seams. I tell my pitchers to use as much of the seams as possible. Spin is every thing in a well thrown movement pitch. A good pitch with out proper spin usually leaves the yard in a hurry.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy