Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2015
52/54 is very quick for 12. My DD probably doesn't throw that hard at 13. Certainly doesn't in a game. Was just wondering what you saw since there are so many discussions about speed and so many folks will tell you their 13yr old is throwing 60+. Thanks for the feedback. Hope your DD had a great time at the camp.

Apr 28, 2014
Having the opportunity to be around pitchers for the last 8-9 years one thing I have come to learn, as mostly everyone on here knows, is that girls mature at different times and some start off throwing harder than their peers only to fall behind as time goes on.

One girl comes to mind and it's sad in a way. She is 2 years older than DD. We used to watch her pitch and she was dominate. Her speed at 12 years old was way beyond the rest of the teams in our area. And as some would suspect she never really developed a change up. I clearly remember telling DD that she would need to pass this young lady one day as we laughed on the way home from a tournament at the thought of that. We both looked at it as an impossibility. I tracked this young lady's career in HS and travel as I know her father pretty well.

They jumped teams several times over the past year and after having a great freshman season she lost her spot in sophomore year to a girl who didn't have high velocity but hit spots, while the young phenom began to lose her ability to control the ball. I saw her at a local tournament during the summer and she was trying to throw a change and they were hanging up and getting smashed. I felt bad for her as I knew she didn't pitch at all for HS in her Junior year and her HS could have really used her.

I can only imagine how hard it must be for college coaches to project pitchers talent in 2-3-4 years. We have girls in our organization that some people have given up on that over one calendar year turn out to be studs and others who we think have a huge ceiling that just don't seem to show improvement. So many ingredients go into crafting a great pitcher. It took me 6-7 years to even begin to understand that. I am working with my DD on staying within herself and to use the tools and that she has and it's working out for her.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I can only imagine how hard it must be for college coaches to project pitchers talent in 2-3-4 years. We have girls in our organization that some people have given up on that over one calendar year turn out to be studs and others who we think have a huge ceiling that just don't seem to show improvement

Amen...each level requires something different. What works at the HS/TB level won't work at the college level.

You can get by with marginal control at TB/HS level. But, D1 requires superior control.

Jan 28, 2017
52/54 is very quick for 12. My DD probably doesn't throw that hard at 13. Certainly doesn't in a game. Was just wondering what you saw since there are so many discussions about speed and so many folks will tell you their 13yr old is throwing 60+. Thanks for the feedback. Hope your DD had a great time at the camp.

I didn't see her but the freshman college pitcher was 63 according to my wife. Very good program!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad