speed differences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DD throws a flip and she has the same problem...Flip is about 20MPH slower than her FB...I think it's too much of a change. Even though she doesn't telegraph it...she can never seem to get the low called strike, and she can't get a decent hitter to pull the trigger....they GO for it, but have the ability to hold up. That's why I think it's too slow. When she tries to put a little more juice on it..she hangs it without exception. I tried to have her throw a circle or horseshoe change, but she telegraphs it, or throws it darn near as hard as her FB/drop. I decided to try a knuckle ball of sorts. I started her with one knuckle, now we're working on 2. She throws this one about 10mph off her FB/Drop and you can't see it coming. Needs some work on the location, and it still slips out of her hand quite often, so I have her constantly messing with the grip and how she "Grabs" the seams.

My DD doesn't have a problem with the speed differential it really locks girls up they cant pull the trigger on her change up most of the time but she throws it for strikes at a pretty high percent. One thing you cant do is throw it to mediocre hitters it just times them up lol.....our high school coach is learning this pretty fast. Also my DD's arm speed with her change up is equal to her fastball(which keeps the trajectory nice and flat) so that might be why it locks them up.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
From what I've read, a good speed difference in about 12mph between FB & CU. Anything slower gives the batters opportunity to reload or poke at the ball to put it in play.

I don't think there is a hard number. As the players get older, stronger, and faster the speed difference needs to decrease. It also depends on the speed of the other pitches. There is a huge difference between Waldrop's fast drop and CU, but there are a bunch of different speeds between those two pitches.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD doesn't have a problem with the speed differential it really locks girls up they cant pull the trigger on her change up most of the time but she throws it for strikes at a pretty high percent. One thing you cant do is throw it to mediocre hitters it just times them up lol.....our high school coach is learning this pretty fast. Also my DD's arm speed with her change up is equal to her fastball(which keeps the trajectory nice and flat) so that might be why it locks them up.

When she throws it and folks ask if that was her FB or her CU, that is when you know she has it nailed.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Without knowing the age of the pitcher or skill level I would have a hard time recommending a back door change. I'm assuming if the flip is coming in at 30 she will have a hard time getting it to the plate. The grip is You bury the ball in the palm of your hand. then come across your body like a curve but roll over and finish fingers pointing down allowing the ball to come out of the back of your hand. For pitchers learning their first change up I would stick with the flip or IMHO the horseshoe. I'm sure there is a video on the backdoor out there.

45-47 FB

35-38 CU

I guess her change is a backdoor, it has that drop curve spin and actually gets some action on it. She actually thinks she is throwing a flip change but the spin and the higher speed tell a different story. She buries it in the palm and rotates the hand around the outside of the ball at release. It has been really effective and was the only type she could throw for a strike after trying a lot of styles. When she throws it with a lot of spin it really looks a lot faster than it is.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
45-47 FB

35-38 CU

I guess her change is a backdoor, it has that drop curve spin and actually gets some action on it. She actually thinks she is throwing a flip change but the spin and the higher speed tell a different story. She buries it in the palm and rotates the hand around the outside of the ball at release. It has been really effective and was the only type she could throw for a strike after trying a lot of styles. When she throws it with a lot of spin it really looks a lot faster than it is.

Great description. I have had tremendous success with the backdoor change. Had many pitchers learn to throw it effectively that were previously unable to throw a CU.

May 31, 2012
Great description. I have had tremendous success with the backdoor change. Had many pitchers learn to throw it effectively that were previously unable to throw a CU.

At 9oclock where is the hand. Under, on top, or on the inside of the ball. Watching waldrop in slo mo at 12 oclock the ball faces the catcher the it looks like she immediately gets on top of the ball.

May 31, 2012

At 9oclock where is the hand. Under, on top, or on the inside of the ball. Watching waldrop in slo mo at 12 oclock the ball faces the catcher the it looks like she immediately gets on top of the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA