speed differences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
What kind of speed differences are you guys seeing in your pitchers fastest pitch and their change up. Respond for all ages please. Watching fsu waldrop throw her drop low 60s and flip change low 40s. My DD throws her fb 47-48 and her flip change about 30mph. If she hangs it belt high it has been hit hard a few times but its hard to get called strikes when she throws it low. At 30 mph it will cross the plate at the knees but be in the dirt when it gets to the catcher. Any suggestions or advice? Should we ditch the flip or just ride it out til she gets more speed.

Aug 6, 2013
She should throw the Change when she is expecting the girl to swing - and keep it low -
I would not try to throw it for a stike.

Jun 18, 2010
What kind of speed differences are you guys seeing in your pitchers fastest pitch and their change up.

15yo DD throws a flip change 15-18mph slower than her fastest pitch.

At 30 mph it will cross the plate at the knees but be in the dirt when it gets to the catcher.

^^^^^, IMO, that sounds like a pretty good spot to locate that pitch for a batter to chase.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
We shoot for an 8-10mph difference.

Lacey was able to float that sucker in there without the Tarheels knowing what to do even when the knew it was coming.

Mar 28, 2013
Even if they are laying off of it its changing the timing and the eye of the batter setting them up for the next pitch. Dont give up on it and keep throwing it. Way to many coaches call 1 or change ups and if they roll or go to high they stop. Most D1 pitchers need an inning or two for the change to come in.If Getting hit every now and then or not getting called strikes was the standard for giving up on a pitch every pitcher would be out of pitches by the end of the first inning.lol So keep calling it, show her you believe in it and then so will she, with time and practice it will be very effective.Just make sure she remembers its not nice to laugh at batters swinging out of their shoes.:D
12u fastball 55mph.change 38-40
14u fastball 61mph change 39-42
they both throw the Back door change.

Last edited:
May 31, 2012
Pinata. Does the backdoor change have side spin like a curve? Is that the same change ricketts or jolene henderson throw?

Mar 28, 2013
Yes it spins like a drop curve, about 5 to 10. They both throw a crop/drop curve and the release looks very similar so when they get it spinning hard it take a while for the batter to pick it up.

Feb 7, 2013
What kind of speed differences are you guys seeing in your pitchers fastest pitch and their change up. Respond for all ages please. Watching fsu waldrop throw her drop low 60s and flip change low 40s. My DD throws her fb 47-48 and her flip change about 30mph. If she hangs it belt high it has been hit hard a few times but its hard to get called strikes when she throws it low. At 30 mph it will cross the plate at the knees but be in the dirt when it gets to the catcher. Any suggestions or advice? Should we ditch the flip or just ride it out til she gets more speed.

IMO, 30 is a little too slow because the pitch will have more of a hump on it just to reach the plate. A 25 - 30% change in speed is about right. If her fastball is 48mph, 35mph change-up is about right. Make sure she tries to throw the flip hard and never slow down the arm circle. My DDs flip change has some side spin on it so it moves down and away from a right-handed batter. Very effective. Make sure to keep it low in the zone. I call the change-up, the "great equalizer" and every pitcher should have one. I am shocked how many flamethrowers have not worked on having a good off-speed pitch like the change. They rely too much on velocity only to get batter out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee