Sorry...I need to rant about this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I've always prided myself as being a non-intrusive parent when it comes to DD and softball. I get involved and help her teams out where I can, but I try not to complain about playing time, batting order, etc. However, this fall, my DD decided at 10 YOA to start pitching. Since August we've been going to pitcing practices twice a week, team practices twice a week, double headers every Sunday, plus a little extra work where we can on Fridays or Saturdays. On her fall ball team, there is my DD, another girl who has pitched a little bit before but does not go to pitching practices, and the coach's daughter who also does not go to pitching practice. Today, my DD was not given an opportunity to pitch. When my wife questioned the coach about this, he told her that DD didn't get to pitch today because she really isn't coordinated or talented enough to be a pitcher.

Maybe I'm just being 'one of those parents', but how is it that a guy who knows almost nothing about pitching in fastpitch going to make this evaluation on my DD (or any other girl for that matter). He even had the nerve to tell my wife that he thinks my DD would be best suited to play 2nd base, but yet has never played her for one inning at 2nd base all fall. He even went so far to say that she probably shouldn't play next spring because she has one bad habit. She tends to back out of the batter's box when she's hitting, sometimes before the pitch is thrown.

I just needed to rant a little on this to clear my mind. I just couldn't believe when my wife said that this coach thought my DD wasn't talented or coordinated enough to be a pitcher, when she is the only one on the team that is putting the effort out try to pitch.

Feb 8, 2009
Number 1, just because he's the coach, doesn't mean he has a good eye for what players are capable of. Number 2 , if his daughter wants to pitch, she's going to pitch (he's got to make mom happy). Number 3, If he really thought your daughter lacked coordination, would he play her at 2nd base?

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
When you say pitching practice do you mean with the team or with an instructor? What does her pitching coach say? If she just started pitching in August, she may not be very good right now. However, if she has the drive that you say, she will improve. It is too soon to judge her right now. Too many coaches want instant results.

Oct 18, 2009
If she just started lessons you probably don't want her in any games until her mechanics are sound enough that she throws more than 50% strikes regularly. IMHO a big mistake is letting her pitch and altering her mechanics just "to get it over". Forget about pitching her in games until the spring when hopefully with regular practice and good coaching through the winter she will be ready. I know you (and DD) are probably excited to get into a game but be patient. Speak to her pitching coach. I'm sure he/she will give similar advice.

My DD didn't pitch in a game until after almost 10 months of practice and lessons. I really think it helped speed up her development by waiting.

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
Even if she's been seeing a pitching coach since August, that's still just a handful of instructional workouts and it takes months for even the most coordinated, naturally talented athletes to become serviceable pitchers. It's a long road, but if she's willing to put in the time, encourage her to do exactly that and by spring, she could very well be her team's #1 pitcher (I'm assuming she'll be in 10u).

She's there to learn the game, not to be an all-pro at the age of 10. How is skipping the spring season going to help her break the habit of backing out of the box? I'm not sure I follow.

Sounds like this coach fancies himself being bigger or more important than he is. Rec coaches that truly want to have a positive and lasting impact on their players are the ones who rotate positions like you're supposed to in 8-10u rec ball and make sure every girl who wants to pitch gets the opportunity to try it.

I know every league is different, but most teams typically go 2 pitchers per game out here in the fall, when possible.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Also... she's ten years old. At ten years old, they stuck me in the outfield and prayed to God that the ball was not hit to me. At ten years old, I batted at the bottom of the lineup.

Now, at seventeen years old, I'm one of the best outfielders in the county (one year I was the ONLY person out of four age groups whose position was OF to make All Stars). I don't back out of the box anymore, the inside pitch that looks like it is going to hit me is one of my favorites...

Things will change. To sum it all up: this coach is an idiot.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One of my newer students, is 10. Her mom just told the coach not to pitch her. She doesn't want her in a game, yet. She had been pitching, but without lessons.

So, I think you will be better off just to let her improve and once the coach sees her getting better, he might want her to pitch. Then, you can say " Oh, not yet.". :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just couldn't believe when my wife said that this coach thought my DD wasn't talented or coordinated enough to be a pitcher...

Prove the guy wrong. The newspapers will take care of pouring salt into the coach's wound.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
One of my newer students, is 10. Her mom just told the coach not to pitch her. She doesn't want her in a game, yet. She had been pitching, but without lessons.

So, I think you will be better off just to let her improve and once the coach sees her getting better, he might want her to pitch. Then, you can say " Oh, not yet.". :)

Oh, not yet??? It would feel good to say but I bet 99% of the parents couldn't do it. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30