Sorry...I need to rant about this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We give opportunities to kids to play every and anywhere.

Are you mad? You might be giving up the opportunity of bringing home the 3rd Annual October Javelina Jundred Scarefest 12U Trophy!

Trophy.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2010
Are you mad? You might be giving up the opportunity of bringing home the 3rd Annual October Javelina Jundred Scarefest 12U Trophy!

Trophy.jpg

LOL, add that to my "bucket list." Are you sure that's not a coach's head on platter after SB Mom got through with him?

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
This thread exemplifies why I think Fall ball is so valuable. Along with all the benefits of extra work, continued play, etc. - we give opportunities to kids to play every and anywhere. With the exception of P and C we literally move kids around every other inning and we swap P and C fairly regularly also. This not only gives the kid experience and exposure to other positions (in game setting - we work alternate positions at practice often) it also gives SBMOMS and SBDADS the opportunity to see their kids limitations in some areas. When we explain that little Suzie's arm isn't strong enough to play SS or she isnt ready for 3B and they see her getting beaten regularly by a base runner or a bunt - they typically agree. WE WILL CONTINUE TO HELP Suzie get better but she's not there yet - see? This also allows those entrenched in an IF position to understand that the corner OFs are working hard when they sprint to back up a base every pitch when baserunners are on, etc. Good experience, IMO - at least that's how most teams use Fall ball around here.

Fall ball is great for exploring other positions. We never knew how good my DD would be in the outfield until she played fall ball. She's finally starting to consider RF her primary position with 3B her secondary position. A strong arm is nice, but speed rules. :)

Nov 8, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
It's hard to make everyone happy especially in recball as a coach. I'm coaching 10U travel ball now because I thought it would be easier, it's not. Pitching wins games in 10U. Pitchers either have it or they don't. It takes something special to be a pitcher. Your DD needs to keep working on it until she is able to pitch at the level the coach needs to be successful. The coach needs to keep everyone happy. Placing the best players in the best position to win is his responsability.

Feb 19, 2009
Yeah, at 10u pitchers dominate but many that "have it" now will lose it by 12u and someone needs to step up to take their place. My dd just aged up from her 10u travel team to 12u and I've already seen most of the dominant, overpowering 10u pitchers get hammered in fall 12u tournaments. They all seem to think they can continue to overpower hitters and never really learn how to pitch, they just learned how to chuck the ball hard underhanded.

Although most who aspire to be top pitchers will not make it, 10u is far to early for a parent to give up on his/her dd because she doesn't "have it".

Nov 8, 2010
I agree with waiting (regardless of if this coach knows what he is doing or just playing daddyball). My daughter started pitching lessons in Aug. 2009 and didn't pitch in a game until the first week of May 2010. There is no way I would have put her in there any sooner. Beginning pitchers need a LOT of practice and encouragment, focusing on the mechanics only and not where the ball ends up going. I saw a lot of younger pitchers in tournaments this year that were developing very bad habits all in an effort to just hang that pitch over the plate and avoid the dreaded walk.

May 5, 2008
I also think waiting is a good idea anyway. When my DD starting pitching I REALLY did NOT want her pitching in a game until the correct mechanics were "second nature" to her, just like throwing overhand had already become.

Unfortunately, I had to throw her into a game earlier than I wanted. But it's not awful to wait a bit.

That said, I'm sorry you're working with a frustrating coach. Just remember that this is not about you and what you think your daughter deserves, it's about her and HER experience with the game. Make it the best you can whatever the situation is. Keep encouraging her! Be supportive of her and recognize her improvements. As far as her backing out of the box, it's not uncommon, but is something you can work on with her.

Typically that goes away with more practice, with getting older, and with the confidence that you can get out the way if you needed to and/or you can handle a ball even if it happens to hit you instead of you hitting it.

I have been explaining how important the outfield is.. I know at that age it may not be the most exciting position to play.. We have been practicing her reading the ball so she can learn which direction to move.. After practicing lately I think she's starting to catch on.. she really wants the ball and I tell her how important it is to be able to play multiple positions.. I tell her the more positions you can play the better her chances are of getting more playing time..lol

Jul 9, 2010
To the OP - hard work will do wonders. Nobody is born knowing how to play this game, but some coaches in younger age groups seem to think that. It's too early to make judgements on where your DD will or won't play.

At age 9, my DD caught, played 1B, played OF, played 3rd, played SS and 2B, and, unknown to me, was working with one of the pitcher's moms to learn to pitch. In short, she was like every other kid - gawky, didn't know what to do, and she tried everything. She closed her eyes when she swung the bat, stepped out of the box when the pitch was coming in, etc, etc.

For some reason I'm still not sure I understand, she loved it. She wasn't very good, and had people tell so. But, she loved it. She worked really hard to overcome her physical shortcomings (she thought her middle name was careful until she was about 12, because she was such a klutz at home). Along with her, I learned a lot about this game, and how to teach her to play.

8 years later, she still loves it. She isn't the best player in the world, but she still works very hard, and that still matters.

Jul 9, 2010
I have been explaining how important the outfield is.. I know at that age it may not be the most exciting position to play.. We have been practicing her reading the ball so she can learn which direction to move.. After practicing lately I think she's starting to catch on.. she really wants the ball and I tell her how important it is to be able to play multiple positions.. I tell her the more positions you can play the better her chances are of getting more playing time..lol

At younger ages, players think you 'park the losers' (quote from a player I had one time) in the OF. I explained to this player (and her dad, who came up with that quote) that she was one of the fastest girls on the team, had a good arm, and was one of the smartest players on the team. I told her I needed all of that in the OF, because we won or lost on the strength of our OF. That changed her attitude, not so much dad's.

I can tell you now, at 18U, our OF is very good. The difference between a good OF and an average OF at 18U is the difference between winning and losing. Of course, as you get older, all of the positions become a little more specialized, and you can't live without any of them. But, OF is definitely not where you park the losers.