Sometimes I wonder what's the point?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Yesterday I was watching the Ole Miss v Alabama game on TV. First inning, second hitter (primarily a slapper, I think) for Alabama sees an outside pitch, reaches out for it with her arms, sticks the bat out and hits an opposite field home run.

From what I can recall, there wasn't a lot of turn on it. I didn't see scap loading, or an Elvis move, or The Move, or any of the other stuff we debate endlessly here. It was a hitter fooled on a pitch, trying to make contact instead of striking out, and driving one over the fence.

Sometimes I wonder if parents wouldn't be better off taking the money they spend on hitting lessons and instead spending it on strength and conditioning coaches -- and of course the most expensive bats available. Seems like it gets the same -- or better -- results than a technically solid swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ken do you have a video clip of the swing you can put up?

Here is a HR swing of her's from last year ....

20gemc0.gif

Oct 25, 2009
yup, unfortunately most of the girls I work with are lucky to be able to do 15 real pushups

Have them do farmer's walks. We (HS) walk 40-lb dumb bells in each hand 200' round trip. Moving up to 45-lb dumb bells this week. Started out with 35-lbs 3 weeks ago. Really strengthens forearm and grip. Also works the core and hamstrings. Very low risk of injury. Google it.

Noticeable distance increase in hitting.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Watched some of the game, and seen the highlight of this. In that replay it didn't look so bad, I'm guessing when they played it 4 or 5 times after the hit it was a bit of a different view.

I guess my point is short fences, strong girls = things like this happening with the amount of pop these bats have. The boys just went thru the radical bat change, I wonder how long til the girls see the same thing?
Problem is the girls still have a lack of offense at times where the pitcher can totally dominate much more than guys due to 1 pitcher being able to dominate a rotation/team.

Mar 9, 2011
West Barstow, Ca
My 3 girls ( 12,10,8 ) and I take fitness very serious. I hold them to a standard that I hold myself to. Although they are not push up pro's, they have built themselves from the ground up. My favorite excercise we call " PICK A MOUNTAIN" . We live in a valley so its easy. They vote on a mountain. We drive to its base. My girls and I stretch together,talk it up, than conquer the mountain. We than snap a few photos at the top of the mountain to hang on our wall . Also we do P90X together. They build physical as well as mental toughness and we spend time together. This costs me nothing.

Oct 25, 2009
My 3 girls ( 12,10,8 ) and I take fitness very serious. I hold them to a standard that I hold myself to. Although they are not push up pro's, they have built themselves from the ground up. My favorite excercise we call " PICK A MOUNTAIN" . We live in a valley so its easy. They vote on a mountain. We drive to its base. My girls and I stretch together,talk it up, than conquer the mountain. We than snap a few photos at the top of the mountain to hang on our wall . Also we do P90X together. They build physical as well as mental toughness and we spend time together. This costs me nothing.

Priceless!!

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Yesterday I was watching the Ole Miss v Alabama game on TV. First inning, second hitter (primarily a slapper, I think) for Alabama sees an outside pitch, reaches out for it with her arms, sticks the bat out and hits an opposite field home run.

From what I can recall, there wasn't a lot of turn on it. I didn't see scap loading, or an Elvis move, or The Move, or any of the other stuff we debate endlessly here. It was a hitter fooled on a pitch, trying to make contact instead of striking out, and driving one over the fence.

Sometimes I wonder if parents wouldn't be better off taking the money they spend on hitting lessons and instead spending it on strength and conditioning coaches -- and of course the most expensive bats available. Seems like it gets the same -- or better -- results than a technically solid swing.

Ken,

What is funny is I was watching with my 11 year old thinking the same thing. Before I said anything however we watch the HR in slo-mo frame by frame. My 11 y/o said something like this - " Good coil...(advance a few frames) she's using her hips and hands...(advance a few frames)...she looks good at contact...I think we were just fooled by the follow thru. That was a good swing".

I said, "Yep".

Feb 14, 2010
Just watch her rear hip, she maintains her cool until she needs to uncoil it. Personally I think it's a great adjustment. I've seen MLB'ers take that exact same swing and drive out and the commentators gush over how they kept their hands back and drove the ball where it was pitched. The softball bats are hot no doubt but it's naive IMO to diminish how good and strong these female athletes are becoming.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd