Something in Bat Rattling... is Bat Now Ilegal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
A couple of girls recently have had something in their bat rattling. Something has come loose. Umps don't really check bats like they should so no one has thrown them out yet (if they are illegal). One girl was using one of the rattling bats and hit one out with it!

Is it illegal to use a bat that has something rattling on the inside? Is it SAFE? I don't want one of those things shattering in a million pieces or something, you know?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
A couple of girls recently have had something in their bat rattling. Something has come loose. Umps don't really check bats like they should so no one has thrown them out yet (if they are illegal). One girl was using one of the rattling bats and hit one out with it!

Is it illegal to use a bat that has something rattling on the inside? Is it SAFE? I don't want one of those things shattering in a million pieces or something, you know?

Speaking ASA

A bat with an audible rattle is illegal. This came from information raised by the manufacturers stating that a bat which has a rattle is "broken" (term used loosely). It is an indication that the bat was breaking down and its integrity is questionable.

NFHS has the same rule

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
What about Pony? In addition to HS, girls around here play in a rec league (rural area, not much TB) that uses the Pony handbook (not officially Pony registered).

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Depending on the type of bat there are many different things used inside a bat for weight. We have found ball bearings, excess weld , and other material that can cause this. Not sure about Pony but I would guess you can't use it. We are in a society that likes to sue, so anything that is stated illegal can open you up to a lawsuit.

Jul 26, 2010
Sounds like something is broken. I would be more concerned with safety then rules, and would discard the bat or send it to the manufacturer to fix.

If it's a Xeno, then I've no idea, they're just strange.

-W

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Will mention something to the girls... knowing them though, if a coach doesn't say something or if an umpire doesn't throw it out, they'll continue to use it.

Oddly enough, the two girls who are having issues are both swinging Easton Clarity Synergies. One is the yellow model, another is one of the pink ones.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
i got dd a bat for $19 at walmart about 3 years ago. worked great pre-season and then developed a rattle so she couldn't use it.
it has been her practice bat ever since! still a great bat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad