Some questions I have:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that I would just smile and nod at them. The players that I know that took 5 years to graduate, were not assured of anything. I believe that the money for the 5th year, did not come from athletic scholarship funds.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As Amy implied, most likely the parents are in lala land.

One school has offered a 6 year scholarship to this player. (I didn't think this possible.)
The college might have said something like, "We'll give you a scholarship for 4 years, and then perhaps we might possibly find you some more aid."

After my DD's eligibility ended, she was the official cameraman for the women's field hockey team. She also worked writing tickets for illegal parking. (My DD was exceptionally well qualified since, before she took the job, she parked in every illegal space at the University.)

BUT: Most likely, the parents either didn't hear the coach accurately or the parents are making stuff up as they go.

Will the U. of Texas have 2011 scholarships left after the signing period?

There is no requirement that a coach use all of the scholarships. So, yes, it is possible.

BUT: Do I think a coach at U of Texas is going to hold a scholarship open in order to recruit a player from Illinois? No.

Do schools make big offers to players that they have not seen play or ones that they've seen in camps at an early age?

Yes.

A coach might get a recommendation from one of their friends about a player, and then recruit that player. My DD was initially recruited by a Big 12 school, but it didn't work out. The coach from the Big 12 school told one of her friends at another D1 coach about my DD, and that coach offered my DD a scholarship. The coach who offered the scholarship never saw my DD pitch.

BUT: Do I think a coach from the U of Texas, one of the better programs in the US, is going to offer a full-ride to a mid-west player sight unseen? No.

Generally, Cannonball, don't listen to other parents. For many parents, the illusion of their DD's softball prowess comes to a crashing end, and all kinds of strange behavior is manifested.

One parent told me that his DD had been recruited by UConn (yes, UConn) basketball. His DD couldn't get the ball to the rim from the three point line. It was an elaborate fantasy the guy concocted from a couple of polite emails.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2010
I do know a player who will sign on Weds that was promised 6 years' aid - all the way through a master's degree. She is one of the best pitchers in the country, and she was made that offer as a freshman in HS. I wonder if they will really keep it, but that's what she was offered. She might be 'working' with the team, or be a graduate asisstant or something those last 2 years.

You can't sign in December. If you don't sign early, you wait until Spring (April I think). I am surprised that they are willing to wait that long for her to commit - she must be a big time recruit. Most kids I know signing with D-1 schools had to commit before now, so they could sign this week. Same with D-2's. One of my players just got her verbal D-2 offer last week, and the coach told her he would scramle it together to get to her for the early period, or she could wait until spring. But, if she verballed, he would hold the spot for her.

Mar 13, 2010
Smile and nod. Some of the lies people will tell you are astounding. I was told by a girl I worked with that she was the top pitcher at my association (I'd been playing rep since T-ball and had never met the girl in my life) and that she was offered a scholarship to an American college and had the Australian softball team begging her to play for them at the 2000 Olympics. At 16 years of age.

It took all my power not to laugh in my face (especilly as I'd grown up with the only 16 year old in contention and even she didn't make the team and she was considered a prodigy!) There is nothing you can do with people who are convinced of their lies.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You can see that the parents' heads aren't screwed on right. No thought about, "what is the DD going to do after college", no thought about "what if softball doesn't work out for her", no thought about "does she like the school", no thought about "can she get the degree she wants"...just totally focused on "how much is she going to get."

What a mess...I love softball, but holy cow, it is just a freakin' game.

Power Line

powerlineconsulting.net
Nov 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
College recruit advising - answers to your questions

Cannonball -
It is with a number of years of college coaching experience that I reply to you. I find it odd that someone mentioned a 6 year contract for a couple reasons. First, the NCAA allows coaches to offer a one-year contract of scholarship. This contract is renewed annually, usually as long as there is not extreme mis behavior by the student-athlete. Note, this is a one year contract but the coach has every right to describe a four/five/or even six year commitment from him to you.

I also find this odd because, I feel strongly that we should not have our kids in school for 5, 5.5, 6 years. I graduated from the University of Notre Dame in four years. I coached at DePaul, Indiana, and Pacific which were all excellent academic universities and most of my athletes graduated within 4.5 years. Sometimes internships delay the graduation - especially in the School of Ed, but I feel strongly that if we dedicate our programs to academics AND athletics, our athletes should graduate consistent with the general population.

As for the early recruiting, many aggressive colleges are evaluating freshman and sophomores. There are still opportunities for juniors and seniors, so do not feel disconnected, but it I your DD is young, it is important to realize how early things are moving. Video, camps, phone calls initiated by the family are all the ways college coaches are able to recruit at that age.

I'd be happy to asnwere any questions anytime. Just drop me an email.

May 5, 2008
Power Line - well said!

The fact thy parents still say/think their child is getting a "4-year athletic scholarship" only shows me how mis/uninformed so many parents are!

I've heard one parents say that it doesn't even matter if her child decides they don't want to play school will still be paid for.

That may be true if the have some kind of grant/work-study/academic package of some sort but no coach can guarantee any athlete more than 1 year of athletic funding.

May 5, 2008
More info from the NCAA themselves (Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete), page 17 => http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/CB10.pdf

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I just spoke to a girl the other day who is looking at her 6th year in a college and all while on scholarship. It was due to 1 year of redshirt, and then an injury redshirt year. So she will only actually play for 4 years but will be in her 6th year at the school. Which will put her well into getting a masters degree. This would be the only way I can imagine you can get 6 years out of a scholarship. And unless you have an auto accident planned I don't know how you can look ahead to a 6th year as a guarantee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06