Softballs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
For hitting we have some Baden poly core balls the kids really prefer over every thing else. In the past I tried to buy the Dudly Thunder but they like the Baden better.

My dd that pitches prefers leather Baden over Dream Seam. I was shocked.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I never bought any for BP only pitching then keep them separate and rotate them through the natural progression.

Pitching -> Throwing/Fielding -> Hitting -> Dumpster

Aug 20, 2013
I never bought any for BP only pitching then keep them separate and rotate them through the natural progression.

Pitching -> Throwing/Fielding -> Hitting -> Dumpster

My daughter wanted to pitch a couple years ago but let's just say it didn't come very naturally for her. So, I've always told her that you better learn to knock the crap out of the ball because someone will find a place for you to play if you can!

Dudley Thunderheat balls with the leather cover are what I buy for my TB team. They have great seams for our pitchers to practice/warm-up with and they will last the team about 2 years of hitting, tee work, and practices. If you're going to use them strictly for tee-work, you can go with the less expensive synthetic cover without losing much longevity IMO. The only other ball my pitchers prefer is the Worth Dream Seam. They're comparable to the Dudleys.
^^^^ This. ^^^^

The Dudley Thunder Heat Leather is, IMHO, the best combination of durability, pop and quality seams for pitchers that is available. If you want a great all-around ball that is suitable for games and will last, that's the one.

If you're just looking for batting practice balls, some of the other suggestions are fine.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Are you guys saying leather cover balls might last longer for bp than synthetic? If so, I have been buying the wrong balls...

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Are you guys saying leather cover balls might last longer for bp than synthetic? If so, I have been buying the wrong balls...

I have found that the leather cover Dudley's seem to last me the longest out of the brands of balls I have used in the past. They go through the natural progression of a balls life which as riseball says is Pitching->IF/OF practice /throwing/fielding->Hitting->Dumpster.

When I first started coaching TB, I bought 2 dozen of these and 2 dozen of the synthetic covered Dudleys for strictly hitting. I used the Leathers for pitcher warm-up and practices during tourney season. After 2 weeks or so, I would relegate them to the practice bucket. After the season, the practice bucket balls got relegated to the hitting bushel. Now I had close to 4 dozen balls for hitting. The following season I ordered 2 more dozen with a new dozen ordered every year after. The synthetics lasted me approximately 18-20 months. The leathers last me on average of 22+ months. So yes, I have found they will last you longer. However, if you are using them strictly for hitting, the difference in price between a quality synthetic covered ball and it's leather covered cousin doesn't justify the difference in life longevity. I would stay with the synthetics.

Dec 11, 2010
Thank you sir!

They really complain when they start getting mushy but I never noticed much with the covers. Dudley makes a really nice ball...

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
If there are any tournaments going on in your area where the tournament director provides the balls, ask if you can buy the used balls after the tournament is over. This is a great way to get a bucket full of slightly used balls for @ $1 each.

If this is just for BP....then what JAD said above ^^^^ is the way to go. You could also check in with your local little league equipment director. They typically buy a new case of game balls each year for each team; so over a few years their supply of used balls can really add up. They'd probably give you a couple dozen for free just to get rid of some.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32