Softball power drive

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
Our new PC at bedingers bullpen uses the power drive for instruction. After explaining how she uses it, I now can see the value of it. Since we already own one, this is going to work out well. Since using it does take some practice. Up to this point i wasn't sure if it was a good purchase. But now I would say its a good investment.

Jun 18, 2010
I purchased one early fall. We have used it a few times. I am not a big fan of the device. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't buy one at the current price.

Jan 24, 2011
I really like this device , but I think it is more cost effective if you are ordering it to use with a team or at a facility for lessons.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I do not own a powerdrive, but might suggest a cheap alternative. Cindy Bristow (who does post her news letter on this forum) carries a product that is called a hitting pod- it is like a mini-bosu ball. in one of her newsletters she demonstrated using this pod for pitching in a way that (I think) does help capture some of the similar features of the powerdrive. It can sit up against the pitching plate, the drive foot has to come straight off the pod or the pod will slip. It helps with timing and keeping my daughter from dragging on her heel. It costs $10 and is fun to use. The service from softball excellence is very good and you would get it quickly if you ordered it _ as an added benefit- you can use it for hitting drills as well.

tool: Softball Excellence
newsletter: Coaches CornerMaster the Push Foot to Increase Your Pitching Speed « Softball Excellence

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2012
A, A
Well I do believe in a indoor setting it more closely simulates pitching out side. She has us start with the disc in the forward position, simulating toe in the hole as if you are outdoor. Then with the start of going back in the wind up clicking the plate flat, forcing the weight transfer back .....then click the plate back down now your in the attack position. If you haven't bent your knees while in the attack position, you will be off balance and fall forward, because your to upright. I do believe it helps with mechanics and better simulation of the out door environment. Please I have spent lots of money to help my daughter pitch.....for me what's another 200.00 bucks!! Seriously we practice a lot more indoors up north.

Jan 25, 2011
IMO, that $200 is (4) 1/2 hour lessons with Bill Hillhouse, thats worth more then a piece of metal. They have one were my dd trains and we have tried it and never used it again. No one uses it there, not even the BB guys. If you have a pitchers plate to pitch off of thats all I think you need. (no gimmiks there) thats my 2 cents.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I do not own a powerdrive, but might suggest a cheap alternative. Cindy Bristow (who does post her news letter on this forum) carries a product that is called a hitting pod- it is like a mini-bosu ball.

This is what we use. I also have a 14 inch balance pad...that was about 40 bucks...if I recall correctly.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Gotta wonder if a home made contraption might work the same. Consider a 12 inch square piece of plywood screwed to two pieces of 2x4 spaced 6 inches apart It might help to bevel the leading edge of the forward-most 2x4.
____
| |

(BTW, not advocating the use for any purpose--I just like projects...)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30