Softball Hitting Drill - Mounting a Tire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 31, 2009
Mississippi
What is the correct way to mount a tire and use it for hitting drills?

:)

Attachments

• erin6.JPG
    erin6.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 25
  • finch-left-arm.JPG
    finch-left-arm.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 27
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Don't use this drill , because of injuries to the wrist. Why would you want to stop your swing at impact ?
Try to keep in perspective most of these kids we are talking about are females and do not have the forearm strength or wrist strength the potential major league player has or will have.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I like hitting FLAT (No AIR!) Basketballs to provide a LITTLE resistance and the balls don't travel very far. (Also gives the batter INSTANT FEEDBACK for whether she is staying on the ball and driving it back up the middle or whether she is flying open and pulling the ball.)
I also do not like seeing batters hitting tires, wrenching developing muscles as their contact is jolted.. almost sounds like telling a baserunner to run into a padded wall! (A LITTLE GIVE, BUT not MUCH!)
- we've been round with this discussion before.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Sorry we are really against hitting basketballs. Ifubuildit has some good post on here on why. I can't download pictures , since I'm at work, but if you could see some of the injuries posted doing this drill, you would understand.

May 12, 2008
Anytime you are hitting something that gives a big rebound like a tire OR encourages a push after contact like a basketball, I think you are very likely encouraging bad habits.

May 7, 2008
DFW
No way No where.

If your looking to injure your players then by all means let them hit basketballs. It puts way to much stress on the shoulders, elbows and wrist. It is counter productive and in some cases can be destructive to your players.

I am speaking from experience here. Let a coach do this with my daughter way back in the day and it took her two weeks to get over the wrist sprain. She was the teams starting pitcher.

This is IMO not only bad but dangerous. Another reason I am not in favor of hitting into a bag not just basketballs.

Dana.

Aug 2, 2008
I like hitting a heavy bag on occasion. There are limits to anything, they don't hit full power and don't do it all that often. It gives a good look at where they are at contact. I'm not disagreeing about the basketballs, but last year one station was hitting vollyballs. They are lighter and we had zero issues. ALL THAT BEING SAID. I'm not sure if its even that helpful. This year we are doing alot more tee work hitting only softballs, we have a good instructor who emulates the high level swing. I don't let my daughter use weighted balls to pitch, we are not going to have them hit vollyballs. Any drill they do that requires them to change their form/mechanics to execute (weighted balls and such) is counter productive IMO.

Mike

May 12, 2008
Dana and Mike,

Yes but how do you feel about hitting three pointers with a bat and a basketball? Will someone please watch the video link? See the little wink icon?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06