Softball and braces...my sister and I are supposed to be getting them

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
DD ate sunflower seeds and chewed gum the entire 4 years she had braces and never had a problem. I didn't know she was chewing gum and eating sunflower seeds at every game because I wasn't ever in the dugout with her, she told DS that she did and he ratted her out to me. DS broke a bracket off eating dinner the other night and wasn't eating anything he shouldn't have been eating. Sometimes things just break.

DD had her braces for 4 years, got them in 6th grade and got them off in 10th. DS got his this past January (5th grade) and will likely only have his for 18 months but there was a huge difference in what they needed done. DD had tons of spaces and crooked teeth while DS has really straight teeth but his lower jaw is not lined up properly so they need to realign it.

I'll have to see them what the forbidden foods list says once I have my braces. The way I understand the practice I'm going to does is they indirect bond your braces to your teeth. I watched a video on YouTube out of curiosity and it was very interesting. But I'm not sure if they're going to try to do everything in one visit. In other words, talk to my sister and I, do our molds, x-rays, pictures, make our trays and install them all in the same day. I know I'll still be chewing sugar free gum when my braces go on. But I don't know if I'll be brave enough to chew sunflower seeds. What's your daughter's flavor of choice? I like the original and ranch.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Both my kids just got through braces. They complained a little bit at first, but after a month or two they didn't complain, even after adjustments. Like somebody else mentioned, they just popped a couple ibuprofin and got on with things. Just make sure you brush a lot. It's easy to let that go and they get nasty, your teeth will suffer. If you follow the Orthodontist's directions faithfully, you will get them off quicker than if you don't. Their teeth are now perfectly straight. I never had the opportunity to get braces as a kid and I was happy about it. Now, I wish I'd been able to have them along with the perfectly straight teeth for the rest of my life. Consider yourself lucky your parents can make it happen.

Like you, my DD also suffered a broken arm and had to have surgery to have it repaired. It was quite a while ago, but she's no worse for the wear. You'll be fine too. Good luck to you and I enjoy reading your input on this board.

I remember my brother complained when he first got his...I was 11. But he had his braces for 2 years. He had a lot of crowding and spacing issues as well...at least that's what he told me. He walked me totally through his experiences with braces. Like popping brackets while eating gummibears. He said the worst pain of the whole thing is the first week after getting them installed. Afterward is a breeze. I'll probably keep some ibuprofen in my purse in case I get braces that day...i see it as a possibility. But I am glad that I get to go through this as a teenager and not as I go off to college or as an adult. Our appointment...8:30 in the morning.

I'm sorry that your daughter had to go through the same thing I am. Did she have plates installed in her arm as well? Did she have a cast after her surgery? Did/does she feel the plates in her arm? I found out my times this afternoon in my pre-op screening. I am going to be going into the OR at 9 am. They want me in the pre-op check in at 6:45. So that means, I'll be getting out of bed at 4:45 in the morning and leaving the house at 5:30. Ugh. The part that sucks the most is no food or drink after 10 pm. I a little sip with my vitamins and minerals but that's it. I'm excited but nervous and scared at the same time. The whole "s**ts gotten real" thing hasn't kicked in...yet. I think it will either on the way to the hospital or in pre-op. I'll keep you informed.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Update on getting braces. My sister and I just left the orthodontists office. We are getting braces. They had me talk to the orthodontist first. She took a look at my mouth and said I have a lot of crowding and spacing issues. But I also have a decent under jite. I also have a couple of teeth that need to rotate and one that's kinda up in my gum that needs to come down. I need extractions over the course of treatment. I am supposed to get 4 teeth pulled. I'm going to be in braces for between 36 and 42 months. I'll also need a reverse pull headgear which I'll wear 8 hours a day. Preferably at night. My sister is getting them. She has some crowding and spacing issues and a slight overbite. She will be in braces for 18 to 24 months. She doesn't need any appliances aside from rubber bands Mom agreed to treatment and we got the whole molds and records done. We're supposed to go back in this afternoon to get our braces installed. I'm surprised I'm getting them his quickly.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Update...my sister and I are now metal mouths. My teeth feel so weird now that they have metal on them. My mouth doesn't really hurt but I also took 3 Motrin before going back in to get them. The thing that's going to suck is wearing this headgear since I have a bit of an under bite. But I also have these things on my teeth for the next three and a half to four years. Oh well...I'll come out better for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish