Softball and braces...my sister and I are supposed to be getting them

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
A few of my friends were getting them near the end of the school year and would tell me of the discomfort they went through
something to keep in mind, if kids are inconvenienced or made uncomfortable in any way, they will make sure everyone knows it:D its probably better that they make a big deal out of it, so then for you it doesn't seem as bad as they made it out to be.

when inconvenienced or treated unfairly, DD#2 has repeated the same story 3 times just to make sure everyone is aware of the crimes against humanity that she has had to endure.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The bad part about braces is it makes brushing more difficult.

Contrast between kids. DS had unbelievably crooked teeth. DD 1's were perfect.

DS had to go through 2 phases of treatment. Many years and many thousands of dollars.
Now his teeth are great. It was well worth it.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
The bad part about braces is it makes brushing more difficult.

Contrast between kids. DS had unbelievably crooked teeth. DD 1's were perfect.

DS had to go through 2 phases of treatment. Many years and many thousands of dollars.
Now his teeth are great. It was well worth it.

My teeth are like how your son's were. Mine are very crooked and crowded. My sister's teeth are somewhat crowded and crooked...but not near as bad as mine. How long was your son in braces? Was your daughter in them? If so, how long was she in them?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
something to keep in mind, if kids are inconvenienced or made uncomfortable in any way, they will make sure everyone knows it:D its probably better that they make a big deal out of it, so then for you it doesn't seem as bad as they made it out to be.

when inconvenienced or treated unfairly, DD#2 has repeated the same story 3 times just to make sure everyone is aware of the crimes against humanity that she has had to endure.

As teens, we are good at making something simple seem more dramatic than it actually is. They were telling me about how awful it is having braces. They were saying about it again yesterday when they were over and we were watching the Oklahoma/Auburn game eating pizza. I said to them for me having braces is going to be a breeze compared to my surgery coming up. They looked at me like I was born with a second head.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Question for you guys with either daughters that play softball or sons that play baseball and have braces. What did your daughter or son snack on in the dugout in between innings when they at bat or waiting to come into the game? My dugout snack of choice is sunflower seeds. I won't be able to eat them while I'm wearing braces.

Jun 11, 2012
DD ate sunflower seeds and chewed gum the entire 4 years she had braces and never had a problem. I didn't know she was chewing gum and eating sunflower seeds at every game because I wasn't ever in the dugout with her, she told DS that she did and he ratted her out to me. DS broke a bracket off eating dinner the other night and wasn't eating anything he shouldn't have been eating. Sometimes things just break.

DD had her braces for 4 years, got them in 6th grade and got them off in 10th. DS got his this past January (5th grade) and will likely only have his for 18 months but there was a huge difference in what they needed done. DD had tons of spaces and crooked teeth while DS has really straight teeth but his lower jaw is not lined up properly so they need to realign it.

Jan 3, 2014
Both my kids just got through braces. They complained a little bit at first, but after a month or two they didn't complain, even after adjustments. Like somebody else mentioned, they just popped a couple ibuprofin and got on with things. Just make sure you brush a lot. It's easy to let that go and they get nasty, your teeth will suffer. If you follow the Orthodontist's directions faithfully, you will get them off quicker than if you don't. Their teeth are now perfectly straight. I never had the opportunity to get braces as a kid and I was happy about it. Now, I wish I'd been able to have them along with the perfectly straight teeth for the rest of my life. Consider yourself lucky your parents can make it happen.

Like you, my DD also suffered a broken arm and had to have surgery to have it repaired. It was quite a while ago, but she's no worse for the wear. You'll be fine too. Good luck to you and I enjoy reading your input on this board.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My teeth are like how your son's were. Mine are very crooked and crowded. My sister's teeth are somewhat crowded and crooked...but not near as bad as mine. How long was your son in braces? Was your daughter in them? If so, how long was she in them?

DS' teeth were not only crooked, but he had a severe overbite. He went through two rounds of treatment, each lasting a few years.

So far none of my DDs have had braces. DD 3 might need some.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
DS' teeth were not only crooked, but he had a severe overbite. He went through two rounds of treatment, each lasting a few years.

So far none of my DDs have had braces. DD 3 might need some.

Oh, I see. I'm going to be finding out tomorrow what's happening with me and my sisters teeth. I think it looks like I might have a bit of an under bite going on in there. I'm not sure. My Ortho will know more. Trust me...I'll be posting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish