Soft hands for a catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Absdad,

A catcher's first priority is to receive the pitch properly. I have seen catchers that " saw a runner start to go, their mind goes away from framing the pitch, and they switch their concern to receiving the ball and making a play on the runner" and stand up directly in front of the ump to catch and throw and block his view on a 2-strike count, and not get strike 3 on a pitch they should have. If he can't see it, he can't call it. There is no need to rush the hands or exchange. My concern with this kind of glove as I stated before was it is tough to use for exchange drill without implementing a 2-handed catcher style.

Coach Weaver.. my dd had her lesson with Chaz the other night, and we discussed this for a while. My dd demonstrated it for us, and you're right about rushing the exchange. It was causing her glove hand to come back with her trowing hand. I guess seeing it up close, and Chaz explaining exactly what you were saying, it made sense. I guess I got a little excited about a possible way to shave some time off of the transition.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Coach Weaver, I have one little beginner baseball catcher at my pitching lessons. He is 11, but small. All I know about catching, I have learned from your DVD - but it is better than what he would be getting sitting at home.

He comes with his cousin and catches that baseball lesson, for me. Which is great, because for me to catch a baseball in my softball mitt, is quite the task.

Thanks for what you do.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have since found him a mitt.

th_catching.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sep 3, 2009
Coach Weaver, I've got to agree with Amy. Thank you for helping players improve and do this safely. And for training coaches and instructors; you've got a great young Jedi in Chaz. :)

Mar 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
soft hands for a catcher

The transition from catching to throwing is accomplished by catching the ball in the glove then turning the glove toward the right shoulder and continuing to the right ear while your right hand is going to the ball and gripping it while it is in the glove. When the glove gets to the ear, the ball is already gripped and the glove is dropped and the throw begins. While all the work is being done with the glove, the proper footwork getting the body in position for the throw takes place so when the glove is at the ear and the glove is dropped the throw can be made.

Jul 26, 2010
The transition from catching to throwing is accomplished by catching the ball in the glove then turning the glove toward the right shoulder and continuing to the right ear while your right hand is going to the ball and gripping it while it is in the glove. When the glove gets to the ear, the ball is already gripped and the glove is dropped and the throw begins. While all the work is being done with the glove, the proper footwork getting the body in position for the throw takes place so when the glove is at the ear and the glove is dropped the throw can be made.

Well that's one way to do it, especially if you like the throw to head in the direction of the second baseman and not second base, considering that is where the catcher's elbow is pointing when their glove is by their ear.

Check out Coach Weaver's instruction on the subject, it's very informative and enlightening.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi