Soft hands for a catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
IMO Teaching a catcher to catch and transition the same way you would teach a SS to catch and transition seems great, but the SS doesn't have to worry about a foul tip 2 feet in front of her and the SS needs to transition to a throw quickly on 100% of the throws she makes and even an aggressive catcher is probably throwing down on less than 10% of the catches she makes. So to gain slightly on that 10% chance you will need to throw down your putting yourself more at risk 100% of the time. Plus the catcher has time to transition the ball because she does not catch it in a throwing position, a SS should catch the ball in a throwing position. Catching the ball with two hands isn't something I see professional baseball catchers do. I would question that what you have is a college coach who looks at catchers as somewhat disposable. If MSU is Michigan State university, I'd be suprised. I'vef heard their head coach talk about the catching position at NFCA clinics and her main goal was to find a catcher that gets the most out of the pitcher and that pop time was less important than you might think. Better to have a good battery keeping kids off the bases rather than worry about throwing out 100% of stealers.

First, thanks for the reply. I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just trying to find out the "why", and try to make sure I understand correctly. I completely agree about the SS being a different scenario than the catcher. My thinking is that maybe when you're behind the plate and you see a runner start to go, your mind goes away from framing the pitch, and you switch your concern to receiving the ball and making a play on the runner. So I'm only talking about that particular situation; when a runner goes for a base. I personally don't see it having any benefit, except in that situation. But I could be wrong, and wanted to find out from those more experienced than me, if i'd be sending my dd down a road of bad habits.

The clinic was at Missouri State. I thought it was a good clinic overall, and this drill struck me as a little unconventional and wasn't something I'd heard of before. Love the feedback and suggestions, thanks.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Absdad,

A catcher's first priority is to receive the pitch properly. I have seen catchers that " saw a runner start to go, their mind goes away from framing the pitch, and they switch their concern to receiving the ball and making a play on the runner" and stand up directly in front of the ump to catch and throw and block his view on a 2-strike count, and not get strike 3 on a pitch they should have. If he can't see it, he can't call it. There is no need to rush the hands or exchange. My concern with this kind of glove as I stated before was it is tough to use for exchange drill without implementing a 2-handed catcher style.

Jan 15, 2009
Was this a pitch out drill? Then I could see cathing with two hands.

My thinking is that maybe when you're behind the plate and you see a runner start to go, your mind goes away from framing the pitch, and you switch your concern to receiving the ball and making a play on the runner. So I'm only talking about that particular situation; when a runner goes for a base.

Based on some of your posts I think you have a DD that catches and is 12U?? As your dd gets older you'll find the pace of the game dictates that you are assuming the runner is going every pitch with a runner on and your going through your pop and holding back the throw if they don't. Similar to a batter loading and assuming they will swing and holding back when they don't like the pitch. The speed and movement of the pitch will require focus on the ball all the way to the glove and sneaking a peek to see if the runner is stealing won't be an option.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Based on some of your posts I think you have a DD that catches and is 12U?? As your dd gets older you'll find the pace of the game dictates that you are assuming the runner is going every pitch with a runner on and your going through your pop and holding back the throw if they don't.

Snocatzdad,

Do I read this correctly that with a runner on you want the catcher to catch and pop up into the throwing position on every pitch?

Also, I always stress that ever girl that is still in the catchers dugout better be yelling "She's going" if that runner takes off to help give a headsup that a catch and throw is needed.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Coach Weaver, what do you think of using this style of glove for learning blocking techniques?

I use to use it for kids that constantly were trying to catch the ball in the dirt rather then block it, but have moved away from it over time and just do the drills with a regular glove.

Sep 3, 2009
Was this a pitch out drill? Then I could see cathing with two hands.

No, not a pitch out drill. They described it as a drill for speeding up glove-to-hand transition for throwing out a baserunner stealing.

Based on some of your posts I think you have a DD that catches and is 12U?? As your dd gets older you'll find the pace of the game dictates that you are assuming the runner is going every pitch with a runner on and your going through your pop and holding back the throw if they don't. Similar to a batter loading and assuming they will swing and holding back when they don't like the pitch. The speed and movement of the pitch will require focus on the ball all the way to the glove and sneaking a peek to see if the runner is stealing won't be an option.

Yes, 2nd year 12. Trying to think of this from the catcher's perspective, and what you and Coach Weaver are saying makes sense. I think I'm probably dwelling too much on the attempt, and not looking at the whole picture. They're not stealing on every pitch; since most of the time a good catcher who shows some speed and attitude behind the plate can be all the intimidation needed. At my dd's age, it seems that every team does pretty much the same thing. They watch the catcher in pre-game warmup, and then test them in the first inning. If a couple are thrown out, or narrowly miss being thrown out, the coaches typically have the runners tone it down and wait for a passed ball. If a catcher is slow and/or has some bad throws, you can bet they will take alot of bases.

Catching Coach said:
A catcher's first priority is to receive the pitch properly. I have seen catchers that " saw a runner start to go, their mind goes away from framing the pitch, and they switch their concern to receiving the ball and making a play on the runner" and stand up directly in front of the ump to catch and throw and block his view on a 2-strike count, and not get strike 3 on a pitch they should have. If he can't see it, he can't call it. There is no need to rush the hands or exchange. My concern with this kind of glove as I stated before was it is tough to use for exchange drill without implementing a 2-handed catcher style.

I understand now; I'm slow sometimes, but usually come around ;) This makes sense, like Snocatzdad said, not every pitch is going to be a steal attempt; and like you said, receive the pitch first.

Catching Coach said:
Do I read this correctly that with a runner on you want the catcher to catch and pop up into the throwing position on every pitch?

Also, I always stress that ever girl that is still in the catchers dugout better be yelling "She's going" if that runner takes off to help give a headsup that a catch and throw is needed.

I would imagine that what he's saying, as I see it alot myself, these girls can get a little crazy testing the catchers sometimes and will take a good lead and freeze. Either testing to see if the catcher is going to miss the pitch, or test to see if she's paying attention. And in some cases pretty much daring the catcher, to see what she's made of. As a catcher, my dd likes to play that game too; as the catch, and the baserunner. Just a cat and mouse game. :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Snocatzdad,

Why would you not pop after receiving with runners on? I'll agree you don't want to leave the crouch so early that you obstruct the umps view of the pitch, but I've seen plenty of strike out, throw outs where you can get both. You don't need to pose for a picture after receiving the ball.

Sep 3, 2009
Why would you not pop after receiving with runners on? I'll agree you don't want to leave the crouch so early that you obstruct the umps view of the pitch, but I've seen plenty of strike out, throw outs where you can get both. You don't need to pose for a picture after receiving the ball.

I might be wrong, but to me it would depend on the situation. With noone on base, you'd freeze for a moment and hold the position until blue calls it. If it's a 3-2 count w/ 1 out and you've got a runner on 1st.. do you freeze for the blue hoping for the strike, or put your emphasis on the runner who is most likely to 'go', and come up ready to throw?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I might be wrong, but to me it would depend on the situation. With noone on base, you'd freeze for a moment and hold the position until blue calls it. If it's a 3-2 count w/ 1 out and you've got a runner on 1st.. do you freeze for the blue hoping for the strike, or put your emphasis on the runner who is most likely to 'go', and come up ready to throw?

IMO, while the answer is simple - you don't want to give away pitches AND you don't want to give away bases, the execution is not so simple! No question that you need to be prepared to throw every pitch when there's a runner on. On a clear ball (i.e., not a pitch that could be a called strike or swung at), you execute as quickly as possible without regard for Blue's perspective, but on a borderline pitch you have to give Blue the opportunity to see the pitch well enough to call it and then execute as quickly as possible. When the runner isn't going, you stick the pitch the same way you would w/ no runners on. While the verbal steal alert from the bench/teammates should be there, with experience, the catcher's peripheral vision also will begin to distinguish between a fake and real steal attempt. Satisfying the 2 objectives is a bit of a trade off and which way you favor can depend on the game situation. Regardless, the faster the transfer and the quicker the pop time, the better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi