So, I teach them to pitch and the coach has them catch.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Objective, firsthand observations tend to shed a different light on a situation. You said he was dragging a water cooler - I assume he let them use it during the game? If there's only 2 real players on the team, and there's a clear #1 pitcher, than mom needs to be thankful that the coach is trying to develop players rather than just win, or else your student wouldn't be getting any any circle time. I still don't see what's so physically demanding about playing P and C for just 1 game. Anyway, the mom needs to chill, the student needs to take more lessons, and DFP needs to send the coach an e-apology.

I think you are correct here. If this girl , who just started pitching , ends up not cutting it as a pitcher , then what ? Maybe , she will be be a very good catcher. Who knows?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. Water would not be a problem. Someone in a John Deere Gator was running around getting water coolers to football, soccer, and 2 softball games. I will give the family some hints about putting a bottle in her bag that Student can fill, as necessary. Also, I will tell her that she can grab a quick drink if she needs to (foul balls, time outs, etc.)

Although, I would not catch and pitch a beginner in the same game, I did grumble a little (to myself) when she caught, pitched, caught and pitched in 6 innings. I am proud as heck of her, though.

The parents have to be on board, to keep using a 7th grader as a work horse. Plus, the girl has to be agreeable to it. It reminds me of the chapter that I am going to write "Just Throw the Ball to Jordan." :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Update - "Student" was admitted to the hospital, yesterday, and diagnosed with meningitis. That is all that I know. I only got a couple of sentences from her mom. Please keep this 7th grader in your thoughts. She had told them she was sick, after a game 9 days ago. She stayed home 2 days and went back to school and practice and games, last week.

She is on 2 teams currently and her TB team, is waiting on her. Of course, her health is the most important thing.

L

linclon

Agree"The guy is a MS teacher because he isn't good enough to teach for the HS nor the elementary school, and he is a MS softball coach because they won't let him coach any other team, and no one else will coach softball. We have the same situation in our MS. It is not worth it."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She was released from the hospital, yesterday. She is very weak and will not be able to return to softball, until spring. It is no wonder that she wasn't able to catch and pitch in one game. She was sick for at least a week, before her symptoms became obvious. Her father is a RN.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad