So, I teach them to pitch and the coach has them catch.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I do think that any player who does not want to pitch or does not want to catch should not have to!

I do think TG is probably right that the MS girls may not be in shape or prepared as well as the TB girls. Though coaching a rec team with 4 of the girls being tb also, I think 99% of it is mental. The ms or rec girls look at one game in extreme heat as a big deal, the tb girls are all thinking and saying "at least it isn't being followed by 2 more games." If it is just one game at a time, I don't think it should be a huge deal to both catch and pitch, if the girl has good fitness. Dbl header, it would take a really fit girl that really wanted to catch one game and pitch the other before I would consider it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Amy eluded to it in her OP but some ½ an innings in MS can take forever. I have never seen coach refused for running water out to the P, does not count as an official visit.

On hot days the PU always has some water squired away somewhere. I have asked if I can put some water for the C by theirs, again I have never been told no.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
PA SB DAD, You obviously are making a joke or have never taught at ANY level much less the middle school level. Teaching at the middle school level is extremely hard. Having taught at all three levels, I can say that there are qualified people at all three levels as well as unqualified. Maybe you should take on the challenge of teaching at the middle school. As for the coaching, I would say it is more likely that no one else will do it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is a young lady that had no intention of catching. She is paying for pitching lessons. We live in the middle of the Sonoran Dessert, we have had 69 days in a row over 100 degrees.

I personally don't care, what the temperature is, the coach should have listened to her, when she approached him.

I would never have any boy or girl catch and pitch, in one game. Their legs and arms are just gone. One young person should not have the responsibility of trying to win a 7th grade softball game, on their own. These games mean nothing. There are 14 girls on the team, many are beginners, but this young lady was, too - 6 weeks ago. (Two girls are ineligible - but that still leaves 3 on the bench.)

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Amy eluded to it in her OP but some ½ an innings in MS can take forever.

As an example, DGD first MS ball game Thurs, it was 11-0 in the first inning before the first out was recorded, and that was when a runner left the base early on purpose. Thank goodness it was one of our cooler days for this time of the year.

An inexperienced catcher, who does not want to catch in the first place, will expend a lot of energy just in nerves alone. She will not know the the little tricks of the trade to save some energy. And to ask her to pitch after catching 3 or 4 innings, I don't think so.

Nov 29, 2009
Had a girl I was working with giving lessons to. Dad started his own team. He tells me she has no control or pop on the ball when she pitches. After talking with the dad and the girl I found out he's having her catch the first two games of the day and then puts her is in to pitch. When I told him either pitches or catches for the day, she can't do both. He looked at me like I had 3 heads. He stopped bringing his daughter shortly after that. The team folded after only one year.

Jul 30, 2012
Raymond Ohio
If all attempts with speaking to the coach have not helped then maybe speaking with the athletic trainer is in order. I know most middle schools do not have one but most high schools employ one. They should be willing to speak with the coach. If no way to do this then I would suggest the AD be involved. It is much more challenging coaching school ball, but we can not get caught up in this type of scenario. One position or the other and certainly one and not the other during one game. In some cases there are no other available qualified coaches to do the job so I find it hard to fault a volunteer. However, we should all understand and error on the side of safety. Some intervention is in order in this case as it has been presented.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
I am having a hard time understanding how a MS age player cannot catch 4 innings and pitch 3. I know not all players are fit but really? It is up to the player to keep hydrated, even during innings. She can call for time. If the coach doesn't provide her water then her parents have to. This isn't travel ball where she is playing in a different climate, she should be acclimated already. What happened to the endless energy kids used to have? Again...JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad