So, I bought a speed gun...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
Just for kicks, I picked up the low-cost Bushnell speed gun even after seeing mixed reviews on its ability to track softballs/baseballs accurately.

DD's fastest pitch was 38, which seemed about right (I'm basing that on the observed speed being noticeably faster than the measured 35mph machine at the batting cages), but most of her pitches were showing only 28-30 on the display.

The reason I question the accuracy of the device is that her overhand throws were showing only 25-27.

We'll give it another shot today with the smaller 10" ball to see whether she can consistently get 35.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I find that the bushnell cheap-o gun is perfect. I use one all of the time and I "Calibrate" it on the freeway on the way to the park before a tourney (clock the speed limit signs). The gun shows exactly what the speedometer says without fail.

A coach at a tourney last fall was clocking a pitcher with an expensive Jugs gun so I stood next to him with my Bushnell and was within 1 mph every time.

Make sure you are right behind Blue for best results - HAVE FUN and don't let pitching speed consume you ;)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
DD's fastest pitch was 38, which seemed about right (I'm basing that on the observed speed being noticeably faster than the measured 35mph machine at the batting cages), but most of her pitches were showing only 28-30 on the display.

Obviously the machine is defective. What other explanation could their possibly be?

You need to position the speed gun on same line as the ball. If the ball doesn't go directly toward the gun, then you'll lose a couple of MPHs.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
It can be a fun and useful tool, especially with younger/beginner pitchers. As the girl
matures, speed is not as important as location and variety of pitches. You can have
a good time with the gun until 14U.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00