Snf

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Dortiz%202_zpscqqkd3w9.png

Dortiz%20Release_zps2a73rine.png

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
What if this was done without letting the front hip rotate in? Too much twisting in this demo and not enough tension to keep the front hip in place.

jzjvuw.gif

Compared to a real swing where the front hip never stops pulling back

Buttermaker, which leg is the front leg? The one farther away from the tee?

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Buttermaker;3669 All I am saying is that if you let the front hip rotate in you are not applying the correct pressure. Noon told me this a long time ago so I give proper credit - the front leg lift needs to be done without elevating the front hip. This means the same thing as not letting the front hip rotate in during the Snf or a regular swing as you need to apply the correct pressure to not let it happen. When you dealing with players that are not at a college or pro fitness level this is challenging.[/QUOTE said:
Buttermaker, can u clarify this "the front leg lift needs to be done without elevating the front hip".

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
No Chris - no demo to show. All I am saying is that if you let the front hip rotate in you are not applying the correct pressure. Noon told me this a long time ago so I give proper credit - the front leg lift needs to be done without elevating the front hip. This means the same thing as not letting the front hip rotate in during the Snf or a regular swing as you need to apply the correct pressure to not let it happen. When you dealing with players that are not at a college or pro fitness level this is challenging.

One challenge with the full 90 degree SnF is that some will rotate the entire pelvic girdle. And while there is some of that, the focus should be on the rear leg, IMO. Some do not understand that the hips can function outside of what the pelvic girdle does. This problem can be increased if the hitter is too vertical in his/her stance. A little hip hinge (flexion) can help with the proper feeling.

NOTE: By making the focus on the rear hip instead of on the pelvic girdle, the front hip is free to do what Butter is suggesting.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I'm still lobbying for sticky. Q's about SNF come up here plenty. I don't think the old SNF thread holds up in 2015.

The version of SNF my dd's do started looking like the drill above but it evolved into more of a "oppo attack" type deal where they set up at 90 and 45* and drive the ball up the middle of the cage. Don't know if that's what you guys are thinking or if that is even really a version SNF but it's been like a force multiplier to their hitting.

With what is already in this thread our version can be better. You guys just keep talking and I'll keep listening.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm still lobbying for sticky. Q's about SNF come up here plenty. I don't think the old SNF thread holds up in 2015.

The version of SNF my dd's do started looking like the drill above but it evolved into more of a "oppo attack" type deal where they set up at 90 and 45* and drive the ball up the middle of the cage. Don't know if that's what you guys are thinking or if that is even really a version SNF but it's been like a force multiplier to their hitting.

With what is already in this thread our version can be better. You guys just keep talking and I'll keep listening.

DD and I do this nearly every hitting session. We exclusively use 45 and almost never use 90. I give DD the goal of hitting me with the ball :) Of course I do have a net in front of me.

May 3, 2014
Buttermaker, can u clarify this "the front leg lift needs to be done without elevating the front hip".

yes this is a tough one but try it. Lift your front foot off the ground without letting your front hip raise up.

In the case of the RH hitter - it's the left leg that is the front leg/hip same as hitting.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RD how are you defining one as a push? What do you see different mechanically?

jzjvuw.gif

Rear hip is pushing the hands/arm/barrel/bat. Hands/arms/barrel/bat is rotating/pushing towards the ball. I want the rear hip to pull the hands/arm barrel/bat. Also I want to have rear leg drive. In this gif above I see known.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission