Snf

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Steady in the core, that pelvis is under control. So what kind of muscle action/contraction would make that front leg lift ever so slightly just before launch?(Core SSC)
I don't think the rear leg is capable of making the front leg lift while keeping the pelvic steady.

FlamboyantEssentialAcornbarnacle.gif

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Steady in the core, that pelvis is under control. So what kind of muscle action/contraction would make that front leg lift ever so slightly just before launch?(Core SSC)
I don't think the rear leg is capable of making the front leg lift while keeping the pelvic steady.

yes - it's one or the other. That's why some of us have been preaching the 2 patterns are incompatible and if you are using the rear leg model - you are not using your core. You just think you are.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS, can you tell the difference between the 2 swings?

Thunder, I really appreciate you doing this ... That being a demo in which you are doing something intentionally different and then later describing what it is that is different.

I will take a quick stab at this to get the discussion going. Based on only viewing this on a cell phone at normal speed, the ball trajectory of the second swing looks better, yet to me your first swing appears more "reactive" and better "synchronized". Are you using your backside differently in your first swing ... Blue-shirt?

Aug 30, 2013
Thunder, I really appreciate you doing this ... That being a demo in which you are doing something intentionally different and then later describing what it is that is different.

I will take a quick stab at this to get the discussion going. Based on only viewing this on a cell phone at normal speed, the ball trajectory of the second swing looks better, yet to me your first swing appears more "reactive" and better "synchronized". Are you using your backside differently in your first swing ... Blue-shirt?
Np, FFS.. thanks for taking a stab..

Ya, I did get under the first swing some - probably would have been a flyout to LF.. other one was a better line drive.. Agree first swing more reactive/sudden/synched..

There was no effort to do anything different w/the backside at all.. both swings were reactionary to stretch.. but executed differently.. which did produce different looks..

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS

Try His swing on your own. Important setup notes.
His COM is moving towards the pitcher the entire clip yet He stays balanced.
APT, pelvic tilt towards the plate. Torso is tilted towards the plate in response to the APT.
Spine is in torque as seen by the reverse "C" created from the front shoulder to the front hip.
Front foot is a balancing outrigger, no real weight is put on it until well after swing launch. Is the front leg dangling or is it under control?
Now comes what triggers, releases, allows the entire movement. It's a SSC created by the core. The core contraction that is seen by the front knee lifting causes/allows the body the go in to a reorientation, freefall. The body instinctively seeks a new balance that has been pre-directed by the way the body was setup. It's the equivalent of a cat being held upside down by it 4 four legs then dropped. The cat reorients itself in mid air(zero ground force available)right side up to land correctly.
So try it for yourself!~~~ The set up is important, And the front leg lifting is just a response to the core contraction, it's not a matter of lifting the leg with the leg. I think you'll understand this when you try to lift the leg while tilted towards the plate.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Try His swing on your own. Important setup notes.
His COM is moving towards the pitcher the entire clip yet He stays balanced.
APT, pelvic tilt towards the plate. Torso is tilted towards the plate in response to the APT.
Spine is in torque as seen by the reverse "C" created from the front shoulder to the front hip.
Front foot is a balancing outrigger, no real weight is put on it until well after swing launch. Is the front leg dangling or is it under control?
Now comes what triggers, releases, allows the entire movement. It's a SSC created by the core. The core contraction that is seen by the front knee lifting causes/allows the body the go in to a reorientation, freefall. The body instinctively seeks a new balance that has been pre-directed by the way the body was setup. It's the equivalent of a cat being held upside down by it 4 four legs then dropped. The cat reorients itself in mid air(zero ground force available)right side up to land correctly.
So try it for yourself!~~~ The set up is important, And the front leg lifting is just a response to the core contraction, it's not a matter of lifting the leg with the leg. I think you'll understand this when you try to lift the leg while tilted towards the plate.

Well said tjintx...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Np, FFS.. thanks for taking a stab..

Ya, I did get under the first swing some - probably would have been a flyout to LF.. other one was a better line drive.. Agree first swing more reactive/sudden/synched..

There was no effort to do anything different w/the backside at all.. both swings were reactionary to stretch.. but executed differently.. which did produce different looks..

Again, I greatly appreciate your sharing of such experiments.

I prefer your first swing.

Do you feel you were doing anything different with your hands? Almost looks like you may be trying to get more of a running start of the barrel in the second swing.

28whto9.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad