Snf

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2013
FlamboyantEssentialAcornbarnacle.gif

Try His swing on your own. Important setup notes.
His COM is moving towards the pitcher the entire clip yet He stays balanced.
APT, pelvic tilt towards the plate. Torso is tilted towards the plate in response to the APT.
Spine is in torque as seen by the reverse "C" created from the front shoulder to the front hip.
Front foot is a balancing outrigger, no real weight is put on it until well after swing launch. Is the front leg dangling or is it under control?
Now comes what triggers, releases, allows the entire movement. It's a SSC created by the core. The core contraction that is seen by the front knee lifting causes/allows the body the go in to a reorientation, freefall. The body instinctively seeks a new balance that has been pre-directed by the way the body was setup. It's the equivalent of a cat being held upside down by it 4 four legs then dropped. The cat reorients itself in mid air(zero ground force available)right side up to land correctly.
So try it for yourself!~~~ The set up is important, And the front leg lifting is just a response to the core contraction, it's not a matter of lifting the leg with the leg. I think you'll understand this when you try to lift the leg while tilted towards the plate.

I don't disagree w/the tilting of torso which I believe I have.. and helps in balancing out a leg lift.. and can be more felt in the core.. no real argument there..
I don't get your where you coming from w/the front foot? You believe it is control?

Sorry, I believe the core is used.. don't think anyone has ever disagreed on that.. but I have a hard time believing that it's the trigger alone.. so you SSC fire your core.. what are you hands/arms/barrel doing?? You fire core, then turn the barrel? Sounds like you'd be creating a slot then swing to me?

I thought SSC can't be held like Granderson is doing..

I will agree to to try what you suggest and would be happy to post it.. but can you? Can you perform what you say is happening, and produce sudden/explosive swing w/the good bat path?

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I don't disagree w/the tilting of torso which I believe I have.. and helps in balancing out a leg lift.. and can be more felt in the core.. no real argument there..
I don't get your where you coming from w/the front foot? You believe it is control?

Sorry, I believe the core is used.. don't think anyone has ever disagreed on that.. but I have a hard time believing that it's the trigger alone.. so you SSC fire your core.. what are you hands/arms/barrel doing?? You fire core, then turn the barrel? Sounds like you'd be creating a slot then swing to me?

I will agree to to try what you suggest and would be happy to post it.. but can you? Can you perform what you say is happening, and produce sudden/explosive swing w/the good bat path?

Hey T-Twins, When you say you tilt your torso are you referring to the clip you posted earlier or in your attempt to mimic Granderson? In the your command drill clip I would disagree that you tilt your torso if that's what you a saying.
I don't get your where you coming from w/the front foot? You believe it is control
I don't believe the front foot is in control. The front foot or leg action is a byproduct of what the core is doing.
The core contraction is what sets off the sequence.
what are you hands/arms/barrel doing??
Reacting
You fire core, then turn the barrel?
Don't need to think about turning the barrel. There may be some thought about the lead arm finding pitch plane.
The SSC in the core allows all the pre setting he does to be released.
I can replicate Granderson exactly as He does it. just look at the clip and superimpose my face. OULALA! JK

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2013
Again, I greatly appreciate your sharing of such experiments.

I prefer your first swing.

Do you feel you were doing anything different with your hands? Almost looks like you may be trying to get more of a running start of the barrel in the second swing.

28whto9.gif

I would like the first swing as well and you should..

I don't feel I'm doing something different - I did do something :)

Do you see what your call your around then throw or release - forget exactly what you called it?

I can tell you this.. there are no wrist articulations I am striving for.. if you see any, they are naturally occurring..

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I would like the first swing as well and you should..

I don't feel I'm doing something different - I did do something :)

Do you see what your call your around then throw or release - forget exactly what you called it?

I can tell you this.. there are no wrist articulations I am striving for.. if you see any, they are naturally occurring..

Well, we agree on the first swing being the better swing.

Still looks to me like the barrel orientation is different at Go!

Any chance you are doing something different with your rear scap?

Aug 30, 2013
Well, we agree on the first swing being the better swing.

Still looks to me like the barrel orientation is different at Go!

Any chance you are doing something different with your rear scap?
Remember, my attempt was to setup the same way... I obtained stretch the exact same way - or at least attempted too.. I can say I was stretched in both swings.. even though the barrel and hands weren't quite in identical positions.. I don't think that matters for this experiment..

So no, it was not a difference in my scap.. I pinched it the same way.. I basically tip the barrel in front of my head w/pronation & abduction.. and then perform an elbow poke basically to get the resistance into the sagittal plane (resistance behind me, behind the rear hip)..

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Thunder, you don't want me to come out of my deep sleep. Keep practicing your "shaken baby syndrome" move... :D

ThundersHead.gif

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Konerko, The Babe and a properly performed HG Drill have a lot in common.

Konerko400.gif
KonerkogifHS.gif

And none of it includes clamping and holding anything!

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Hey Thunder, do you think you are leaving anything on the table when you reverse pivot your spine like that??? hmmm

Do you see how firm Konerko is - going through the ball? No "hip slip" there.

Go ahead Thunder. Convince everyone that your "hip slip", reverse "C", shaken baby syndrome move is the same as Barry's movements. I'd love to hear how you've been to the mountain top. :D

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Thunder, why would you post this:
ThundersHead.gif

And then call me out? You're following a guy who can't tell the difference between hitters who track the ball and swingers who reverse pivot their spines because of hip-slip. You're not tracking the ball in that swing, right? LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad