Snf

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
That's the intent of the drill.

Sorry should have said stretching should get deeper/longer. IOW's one shouldn't try to stretch to the end of range of motion and hold it. That bypasses the stretch reflex during SSC.

The Stretch-Shortening Cycle (SSC)
The stretch reflex is utilized frequently during sport because most movements involve the two phases of muscular contraction. An eccentric phase, which is the muscle lengthening under tension, is followed by a concentric phase in which the muscle is shortened. Attaining a pre-stretch of the muscle causes it to be lengthened eccentrically so tension is developed in the muscle, similar to a rubber band. This stored energy created by the tension can be used to help increase the strength of the following concentric contraction. This concentric contraction must immediately follow being stretched or the tension created will dissipate as heat. An example is a quick countermovement before jumping which allows the quadriceps to be stretched eccentrically so that the following concentric contraction can be stronger. The amount of tension created by stretching the muscle is dependent on the degree and the speed of the muscle’s pre-stretch. Exploiting the elasticity of the muscle and the stretch reflex is referred to as using the stretch-shortening cycle. It has been shown that the faster the muscle is stretched eccentrically, the greater the force will be on the following concentric contraction.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thunder, I would agree on getting stretch.. Where and how the stretch is being created is also important.. Also the stretching needs to be dynamic not held. IOW's your stretching until firing.

That's the intent of the drill.

Yes, as I instruct young players ... unless you have made a decision to abort, you are either preparing to throw/swing or throwing/swinging.

Aug 30, 2013
Umm like Eric F stated.. it's a drill.. Tell me how you tell kids/players to feel this sudden quickness, this just release of stretch? It's a drill to feel it.. you can move, waggle, flail SSC and whatever else.. and you may never feel it.. this gets you to feel it.. once you have felt it.. You figure out how to achieve it w/in your style..

FFS, can you tell the difference between the 2 swings?

I'm not saying you just sit in a Command Drill position and hit.. but this guy comes about as close to it as you'll find.. Is that for everyone?? Probably not.. but it works..
FlamboyantEssentialAcornbarnacle.gif

Where is Granderson's SSC?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
You're correct Thunder.. Granderson does the drill without SSC at least from what I can see.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Umm like Eric F stated.. it's a drill.. Tell me how you tell kids/players to feel this sudden quickness, this just release of stretch? It's a drill to feel it.. you can move, waggle, flail SSC and whatever else.. and you may never feel it.. this gets you to feel it.. once you have felt it.. You figure out how to achieve it w/in your style..

FFS, can you tell the difference between the 2 swings?

I'm not saying you just sit in a Command Drill position and hit.. but this guy comes about as close to it as you'll find.. Is that for everyone?? Probably not.. but it works..
FlamboyantEssentialAcornbarnacle.gif

Where is Granderson's SSC?

The stretch impacts where you feel it. Different movement patterns create different cause/effects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad