Snf

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
BrndnStretchnFireFront.gif

In my limited experience and extremely untrained eye, this looks like a kick by the leg and is not initiated by the hips. Is that correct?

Sure looks like it.

May 3, 2014
The hands fight the core movements. They resist the core movements, and then they dictate how far the hips turn and extend into the ball. That is if you believe that the hips turn more on inside and less on outside.

Close - but I would say they react to the core movements. Meaning that during the initial lateral bend they react by tipping the bat. The release of the initial lateral bend initiates the un tipping

As far as hip turn (only because I was listening in on an instructor next cage over while we were practicing yesterday and she was saying the same kind of thing) I want the players to learn how to fully turn their pelvis as they are laterally bending the spine rearward. There is no way to get the barrel to fly through the zone if they are holding back pelvic rotation.

Bautista_061013_2HRcombo.gif

Posey_InMidOut.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
To add to the above note ... listen to Mike Maves' description. He doesn't describe the forward shift for the purpose of creating momentum, but to create the movement of "getting in the way" in preparation for "getting out of the way".

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Take your back pocket toward the pitch.

Posey_InMidOut.gif

I agree a great training thought, a great swing thought, and it is what happens.

And i agree that the swing Starts from the core.

when i hit however, i am not thinking about hip into ball, i am thinking about my barrel, and my hands.

As the swing progresses, and my barrel is moving, the direction is controlled by my hands.

Even though the core starts, the hands catch up and merge at contact.

Aug 30, 2013
Been a while since I've posted here.. been trolling here every so often.. I just wanted to say for those of you that have not experienced the release/suddenness/quickness/effortless result from being in stretched position - you should continue to try and achieve the feeling..

Here is a drill that someone had come up w/that you do from more of a normal stance - Command Drill... looking at where it starts, you may not know it.. but I'm coiled in my rear hip, lower back is pulling back.. my scap is pulled back/pinched.. the only thought from here is GO!! No other thought and things just kinda work.. Now is it perfect, probably not.. I'm sure you'll find things to pick it apart.. I don't get sat.. not sure if it's because I don't have any momentum - so not sure I would.. I'm not timing a ball.. etc.. but I can tell you the swing was essentially just a release of stretch w/one thought of GO..

I'm providing 2 swings.. They are both setup or intended to be setup the exact same way.. but in one I am doing something slightly different - can you tell?? Can you tell what difference it has in my swing path, a difference w/the corner, a difference w/my rear hip??

Main point being here.. I would continue to figure out how you get to a stretched position in order to fire.. the swing shouldn't be forced.. or at least I don't think the best of the best force their swings..

CommandSwing5.gif

CommandDrill6.gif

Lets see if this brings Chappy/Howe out of his deep sleep :)

The other thing I'll add is when everyone, including me first tries to learn some of these things.. they get over done.. like the scap thing.. I got away from it and then realized it is a big part/piece of it.. as you can see.. or at least I think you can't see.. is there are ways to do it that don't make it look as exaggerated as some make it out to be.. although there are some that have big noticeable movements..

Thunder

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Thunder, I would agree on getting stretch.. Where and how the stretch is being created is also important.. Also the stretching needs to be dynamic not held. IOW's your stretching until firing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thunder, I would agree on getting stretch.. Where and how the stretch is being created is also important.. Also the stretching needs to be dynamic not held. IOW's your stretching until firing.

That's the intent of the drill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g