Snap Back at release 7 to10 year old pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2010
Anyone coaching pitchers 7 to 10 years old, finding many pitchers have been using a snap back release to create their pitch. Looking for comments or opinions. Of course at this age this is the fast ball pitch.

May 7, 2008
If you mean snapping the wrist and pulling the hand back on release, that would be a terrible thing to do. Other than that I have never heard of it.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If what RMGC describes is what you mean, yes, I see it all the time in beginning pitchers. It's what they think it means to snap the wrist. It feels strong and fast to them.

One way I've found to get them to understand what to do is have them kneel down on the back knee. I then place my hand out in front of them and tell them to give me a "low five" with an empty hand. When they get the hang of that, I have them use a ball, but keep my hand out to the side and tell them to give me a low five while throwing. It works sometimes.

May 30, 2010
If what RMGC describes is what you mean, yes, I see it all the time in beginning pitchers. It's what they think it means to snap the wrist. It feels strong and fast to them.

One way I've found to get them to understand what to do is have them kneel down on the back knee. I then place my hand out in front of them and tell them to give me a "low five" with an empty hand. When they get the hang of that, I have them use a ball, but keep my hand out to the side and tell them to give me a low five while throwing. It works sometimes.

Thanks for input. I use the back knee approach also...with the young pitcher creating an L at finish...your low five is a good addition for me. The snap back in my area is present in 90% of the beginning pitchers.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Dd did it at random for the first year. I read Amy on here say that she calls it Tyranosauras rex arm and makes her students growl when they do that. I did that with dd for a couple days, it never happened again.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Pitchers releases ball and immediately "snaps" her hand back to finish her pitch.

My DD got in a bad habit of pulling her hand back as soon as she released the ball in BOTH pitching and throwing overhand until we corrected it and had her finish out with her hand in the front of her body. Someone said here (lhowser, Amy in AZ?) that pitching is essentially "throwing underhand" / you can't pitch faster than you throw overhand. I am starting to understand the relationship between the overhand throw and the underhand pitch mechanics as being very similar.

May 30, 2010
My DD got in a bad habit of pulling her hand back as soon as she released the ball in BOTH pitching and throwing overhand until we corrected it and had her finish out with her hand in the front of her body. Someone said here (lhowser, Amy in AZ?) that pitching is essentially "throwing underhand" / you can't pitch faster than you throw overhand. I am starting to understand the relationship between the overhand throw and the underhand pitch mechanics as being very similar.

Thanks for info....overhand expl. is helpful.....where I am located it is used by most ot the "rec. ball" pitchers who being getting input from other pitchers or well meaning coaches. I am currently working with a number of pitchers who are having varing degrees of difficulty stopping the "snapback".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad