smaller 13 yr old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
According to what you are calling great and one legged. They all get around the back hip (one legged) but some do not use the stride foot as total timing device. If it's not used as a timing device they are two legged so they can get around the back hip. I maybe wrong but that's what I see. Some of these guys can possible miss time it and hit it a mile. One of the farthest hit balls I have ever seen in person was an opposite field bomb off the front foot.

I'm now working with a 12U team for the first time in my life. Some with no fundamentals and you start talking about swinging one legged and it's a circus in a hurry. Worked with two MLB 20 years ago and both landed on two legs but became one legged with great hip action. Had some minor leaguers from Canada come work for two months every year before the season. Great track athletes but couldn't get one legged to save their life.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There is no 'lateral tilt' like process in her swing. Core usage is minimal to non existent.

Perhaps this swing clip segment will help visualize the lateral tilting process ... take note of the resulting change in the angle of the shoulders ... take note of the barrel action during this time.

CCabrera_revc_lateral_tilt.gif

Dec 4, 2013
According to what you are calling great and one legged. They all get around the back hip (one legged) but some do not use the stride foot as total timing device. If it's not used as a timing device they are two legged so they can get around the back hip. I maybe wrong but that's what I see. Some of these guys can possible miss time it and hit it a mile. One of the farthest hit balls I have ever seen in person was an opposite field bomb off the front foot.

I'm now working with a 12U team for the first time in my life. Some with no fundamentals and you start talking about swinging one legged and it's a circus in a hurry. Worked with two MLB 20 years ago and both landed on two legs but became one legged with great hip action. Had some minor leaguers from Canada come work for two months every year before the season. Great track athletes but couldn't get one legged to save their life.

The reason I asked is because I wanted to see what you interpretation of one legged is. I believe if a hitter launches their barrel with a coiled rear hip they are "one legged".
TViLIsH.gif

Although these two swings are obviously different, I would consider them to both be "one legged".....
xDVEFps.gif

One legged
8BL0gkl.gif

One legged

IMO one legged hitting can look very different from player to player. If you try to duplicate their barrel path you will see it is impossible without having your weight coiled around your rear hip at launch.....

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The reason I asked is because I wanted to see what you interpretation of one legged is. I believe if a hitter launches their barrel with a coiled rear hip they are "one legged".
TViLIsH.gif

Although these two swings are obviously different, I would consider them to both be "one legged".....

Hit with a college hitter today that reads this website. They gave me their interpretation of one-legged to be ... "initiate the swing from the back-side".

Jan 28, 2017
Of those clips Bonds is the only one that doesn't pull back with the front hip. IMO. They all get around the back hip. I think we are basically saying the same thing

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yep, they all look identical to Rich and the ULL hitters... One can either look for the truth in video or ignore it..

0o8RXuZ.gif

XRu9Pmv.gif

Z0GGtfI.gif

CDpwpTw.gif

May 3, 2014
Of those clips Bonds is the only one that doesn't pull back with the front hip. IMO. They all get around the back hip. I think we are basically saying the same thing
Can you explain? Do you mean they pull back away from the plate with front hip except for Bonds?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez