smaller 13 yr old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
It thrills me you are happy that it works for them. Kinsler will be happy to hear it.

t26ufo.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Actually Rdbass, I think this is a decent swing. The hands are a rotational point and they rotate pretty deep. The arm bar as well shows good connection to the body.

The swing is downwards toward the end.

Lets take a closer look at this swing.

Thanks but, like I said 'other issues' which others have pointed out. Not my style of hitting. That arm bar(?) gives the hitter a false separation. That 'connection' that you see is a one piece swing with a spinning rear side. The hands aren't a rotating point as I see it. I see the hands drop and bleed forward with no barrel turn.
Again JMHO.

Dec 4, 2013
Spartans,

Do you think there is to much of a loop in her swing?

Shawn,

I think there are some glaring things in her swing that we all see and that need to be fixed. I think Butter, Bass, and I have similar swing beliefs, but we all may start "the fix" in a different area, ultimately trying to get to the same destination. I'm not 100% sure I know where you stand in your swing theory. What sticks out to me is her having a spinal axis vs a rear hip pivot point. Swinging around her body instead of swinging out from. I don't hate the way she uses her hands. The arm bar is definitely making the swing a little longer than it needs to be......But hey, it worked for Griffey!

To be honest no matter what the issue is, I usually start kids with working on their barrel turn (I feel like almost everyone needs work in this area). When that starts to come together we go to the rear hip pivot point........

Jan 28, 2017
Pick your poison on the way to help your DD. Bat slows down after contact. Front hip doesn't pull back hard enough at contact. Easy things to talk about. Harder to correct.

Dec 4, 2013
IMO the scap must be pinched/clamped to launch the barrel correctly. Kinsler seems to clamp his scap earlier than most.......
IMoJ2GK.gif

Guys who talk about the hands must work up and back as the body is moving out don't like this gif.....

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IMO the scap must be pinched/clamped to launch the barrel correctly. Kinsler seems to clamp his scap earlier than most.......
IMoJ2GK.gif

Guys who talk about the hands must work up and back as the body is moving out don't like this gif.....

I'm not a fan of an early clamping of the rear scap as shown in Butter's example.

There is no mystery here with respect to the movement of the rear shoulder blade.

The basic scapular action is that performed in a typical overhand throw. During the ‘preparation to throw’ the shoulder blade will move back, down and in. This connects you to your core as you go to throw the ball.

You don’t need to overdo this action. You should not be trying to get in there and perform a hard clamp of the shoulder blade. That would be a mistake. You want the same gliding-like motion that you have when throwing.

In the middle of your next hitting session, pick up a few balls and throw a few. If you can perform sidearm throws then that would be even better. Feel what your rear shoulder blade is actually doing. That's the motion you want in the swing.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Front hip doesn't pull back hard enough at contact.
Front leg for 'catching'/'blocking' the forward momentum/weight(weight should really shift to the middle). Front leg should not be 'pushing back' the front hip harder.

Jan 28, 2017
I understand that most MLB hit around the back hip but some are two legged and some one legged. I agree your weight should be in the middle. Less flexable kids have a very hard time being one legged. More than one way to skin a cat or bass! Smiley face thing.

Dec 4, 2013
I understand that most MLB hit around the back hip but some are two legged and some one legged. I agree your weight should be in the middle. Less flexable kids have a very hard time being one legged. More than one way to skin a cat or bass! Smiley face thing.

Are there any MLB greats that are two legged?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619