smaller 13 yr old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
I don't mind the term one legged. I actually like it. It took me awhile to wrap my head around it's meaning but it makes sense to me. Like FP stated earlier I rarely discuss it with hitters. I don't try to overwhelm with vocabulary and concepts. I agree it is used by some as a huge diversion. No one in the "one legged camp" discounts the fact that their is a front leg. IMO it's just not a teach. I focus my energy on getting the HPP and RHPP right.....

I agree. Do you think thick hipped people that are not as flexable need to pull back with the front hip? I believe if you are one legged in your swing you get a deeper swoosh.

If you are getting a deeper swoosh but are collapsing because of other issues what do you do? Trying to learn. Working with young kids for the first time.

May 3, 2014
If you are collapsing you are not getting the right coil IMO. Or you get it and loose it then launch the swing. Launching the swing from a coiled rear hip is swinging rear or one legged just like Spartans wrote earlier.

May 3, 2014
Sorry - not following. I thought you were referring to a tilting back / spinal bending type collapse.

Jan 28, 2017
If your forearms don't work you collapse more and try to get the barrel on the ball. Coiling causes a deeper swoosh therefore more collapse, IMO.

I agree with where we are trying to get the finished product but not sure you can go straight there.

How much hip coil? Teacherman shows coiling and picking up your stride foot and swinging open. Which is awesome. I do not see that at all from most MLB players. I see them get around the back hip during the swing but when they take a pitch they do not spring open to 3rd base.

Really trying to be a better coach and not arguing.

May 3, 2014
Well to be fair the spring drill is not trying to use your back to arrest the springing open. It's a drill to get the coil right.

Jan 28, 2017
Well to be fair the spring drill is not trying to use your back to arrest the springing open. It's a drill to get the coil right.

Everyone teaches some kind of inward turn. 1. Show numbers. 2. Turn pocket to the pitcher. 3. Hide hands. 4. Belt loops and a lot more. Everyone teaches to get around the back hip. If you finish with a straight leg you must pull the front hip back also IMO. Albert Pujols just turns in and goes, to me nothing special with a coil, now he really gets around that back hip and his front hip really finishes and is a big gifted cat.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
to me nothing special with a coil,
Sorry, I have to strongly disagree.
he really gets around that back hip and his front hip really finishes
Do you see that here:
tumblr_orehoxYVLr1usf292o1_400.gif

I'm guessing your 'focus' seems to be on what the front side is doing.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
IMO Barrel turn is number one. I work with a 7 year old weekly and he is excellent at turning the barrel. Just like any other skill it needs to be practiced. I don't think age or weight have anything to do with it. With him we talk about the laser on the knob. How fast can he slash his laser through the ball. He now uses his forearms really well.....

Like Bass eluded too the coil is huge! Most don't coil correctly. I can show the pitcher my numbers or hide my hands without coiling. Those two things can be achieved with counter rotation of the shoulders..........A rear hip coil AROUND the rear leg is an absolute must. The SnF drill is a great one to teach kids what it is like to get coiled AROUND the rear hip....
6S19icX.gif

If you don't have that right you will never match what the greats do.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
That is diffinately a one legged coiled swing and uncoils without using his front hip. I just think that looks nothing like Pujols as far as strictly hips. IMO, if your transfer forward at all you must have some degree of pull back with the front hip. I don't understand how people can say their,coil is different but still claim it's the same. Just can see that, maybe missing something. Barrel turn is huge all those guys can turn the barrel. The 70 pound kid isn't my DD and plays on our TB team and only get about one practice a month with her in the cage.

My DD hits the ball very hard for her age and size but is inconsistent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321