Slowly making progress. Help?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
While I think JJ has given you some great advice in his posts, I will disagree with one of them. IMO, if she wants to pitch, get her to a reputable pitching coach as soon as possible so she doesn't ingrain bad mechanics from the get go. For example, she is leaping in the game footage and she never really gets open on the stride (i.e. there is no "leap and drag", more of a step) to name just a few areas.

You also say that she hadn't pitched in weeks (months?). I am a firm believer that you cannot dabble in pitching. You either commit to it fully, meaning practice 3X a week, or you find another position to play.

If she is serious (anything above being a back-up rec pitcher), get her to a PC, create a pitching area at your house where she can easily practice, then practice at least 3X a week for the foreseeable future, and periodically check in here for comments and analysis.

Sorry to be so blunt but if you are going down this road to help your DD be a pitcher, why not do it the right way from Day 1?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
LOL! Of course, "qualified" to JJ and myself means they teach the good stuff from the pitching threads here..... You know.... Boardmember's IR explanations.... Javasource's drive mechanics...

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Could you explain what you mean by this?

Sure-

By tight I do not mean tense in the arm at all, it should be a loose arm. But the circle itself should be as pure as possible without a lot of side to side variation (think of the profile of a spring washer as being bad). It should also be on the vertical plane and the circle should pass by the ear on the up and should brush the body on the down (tight to the body). Eccentricities lead to needing to compensate with body positions.

Here is Michele Floyd, one of my least favorite arm circles/hand positions etc. She does a whole lot before finally getting to a good position at the end.

See how the path of the ball has a whole lot of in and out variation?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Here is a list of qualified PCs in Nebraska....

Funny, but not true. A simple search yields many instructors for pitching in NE. How good they are, who knows?

I would suggest you ask some of the good pitchers in your area who their pitching coaches are and then call them? Most will give you a free evaluation or discount your first visit. Even if you have to drive 1 - 2 hours, twice a month, it is well worth the time and expense.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
There are exactly 5 qualified PCs I have discovered. One can't teach because he decided to work at U of Georgia. One lives in Upstate New York, two live in northern California and the other is muddled somewhere in PA.

I'm sure there are others and I will keep up the search but all the others I have seen were more dangerous than helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG