Slow Motion Versus Stop Action for Teaching Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
I am the coach of a 10u rec fastpitch team and a 6u T-ball team. Like many of you I have read “The Talent Code” by Daniel Coyle and I would like to implement as much of his deep practice methodology as I can. I have been thinking a lot about how I demonstrate a skill and how I ask my players to dry practice the skill. I have been thinking that instead of breaking a skill down into a series of stop action steps it might be better to do the Tai Chi version of super slow motion movements. I am thinking about this in a one on one coaching situation and in a team demonstration situation. I like the concept, but I am uncertain if the absence of checkpoints along the way will make the skill incomprehensible to kids who’s proprioception is somewhere between totally absent (6u) and developing but weak (10u). Has anyone had success with super slowmo for hitting, throwing and fielding ground balls? If so, did you add checkpoints along the way? The thoughts of anyone about how to improve skill acquisition would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Kids are snow flakes...no two alike
What works for her may not work for him etc...
Teach the fundamentals in a way they really understand, and not just doing what their told, and stay consistent.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Went to the University of Washington Coaches Clinic last weekend and got the answer. The movements are dynamic and don't have stops and starts. Teach it smoothly so they can do it smoothly.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA