Slow mo camera advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 6, 2015
Hey all,
Been awhile since I have posted but I have a question about utilizing slow mo camera footage. I really want to get good enough quality to see my daughter's hand motion and release of the ball. I think there is something funky going on there but I can't tell for sure. So how do I do that? What camera / settings should I use? You can pretend I know zero about photography... cause its true. :)

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2015
Down load and use Coach's Eye. There is a free version. If you need collaboration with a coach, then subscribe and have your coach get on it to get remote instruction. Works with most all video formats. I just use my phone for video and you can see very detailed slo-mo and even draw on it. I use it constantly to get the detail you want.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Jul 4, 2013
For for smooth (and detailed) slow motion video, there are basically two steps: 1. record at a higher than normal frame rate (normal is 30 frames per second), and 2. play it back more slowly (closer to normal frame rate). Many action cameras (like a GoPro) will record at a high frame rate (120fps or 240fps). Then you use a video editor to make the video play back slower than the speed it was recorded.

Video is made of still images flashed on the screen in quick succession. Your brain fills in the gap between the images and makes it appear that there is motion. It takes roughly 30 still images every second to fool the brain into seeing motion. Any fewer frames per second, and your brain can tell that its looking at still images and the video appears jerky. So if you record at normal frame rate (30fps) then slow it to half speed (15fps), it looks jerky. Specific to your purpose, you might be missing frames that show what you are trying to see. I bet you will want to slow the video to at least 1/4 speed to catch the tiny fraction of a second that you are after. That release is about as fast as you can snap your fingers. So you don't want to slow down video recorded at normal speed.

On the other hand, if you record at 120fps, you can slow it down and play it at 1/4 speed (or 30fps) and the video will still appear as smooth as normal speed video - just slower. That is what you want. The higher the frame rate you record in, the more you can slow it down with acceptable quality.

Any camera with a high frame rate will do. Action cameras generally offer a high frame rate option and may be your best option. I don't know how to slow down the video other than with a video editor. I think most editors, even free ones, will do slow motion for you.

Jul 13, 2015
Hey all,
Been awhile since I have posted but I have a question about utilizing slow mo camera footage. I really want to get good enough quality to see my daughter's hand motion and release of the ball. I think there is something funky going on there but I can't tell for sure. So how do I do that? What camera / settings should I use? You can pretend I know zero about photography... cause its true. :)

Thanks.
With Coach's Eye you won't have to worry about all the detailed frame rates and crap you don't even know means. Other good suggestion is good lighting.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
It also depends if you are going to take small clips or full games (or even just long recordings). From my experience, phones with apps (and we like Coach's Eye) work best for small clips. For long records, especially full games, GoPro and related cameras seem to work best.

Jul 13, 2015
It also depends if you are going to take small clips or full games (or even just long recordings). From my experience, phones with apps (and we like Coach's Eye) work best for small clips. For long records, especially full games, GoPro and related cameras seem to work best.
I actually stream games live with USTREAM with my phone and get good quality recordings and use them in Coach's Eye. It doesn't sound like he does entire games but can do those as well. Excellent quality without spending the money. Nothing wrong with GoPro, just an additional cost without that much quality gain if any at all. It's all good, and matter of cost.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog