Sliding at home plate when bases are loaded????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 16, 2012
I did a search but didn't find quite what I was looking for. We play under ASA high school rules. Here is the play:

Bases loaded one out bottom 7 tie game. Batter hits a ground ball to short. Shortstop throws home to get the force out at home. The catcher is pulled off the plate a bit to the first base side and the runner does not slide. No collision obviously because the catcher was off to the first base side. Since her foot was off the plate we "Thought" we just won the game...... Nope ! Umpire claimed the runner was required to slide. :mad: I argued( of course) that there was not going to be a collision so she was not required to slide...... Am I wrong here???

Can anyone find the rule because I searched and can not find anything that
requires a slide in a non collision situation or on a force play at home.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Sounds like someone has been umpiring Little League where the rule requiring a player to slide is often misinterpreted.

7.08(a)(3) — Any runner is out when … the runner does not slide or attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball and is waiting to make the tag;

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2012
No we ended up winning regardless. But that was a very bad call that could have easily bit us in the rear.

Jun 22, 2008
No actual rule set I am aware of has a must slide rule. There is a crash rule where the runner must give themselves up or slide to avoid being called for crashing the fielder, but that is only if the fielder has posession of the ball and is waiting to make a tag on the runner. You would need to check with your athletic association to see if they have any additional rules they use. If they do not you might want to ask them to possibly pass that on to the umpire from your game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes