Slap Hitting Tips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Yes on the Lacrosse stick. I have one that I used around 4 years ago when my dd was learning to slap.

I like that! My dd was taught using a glove, basically accomplishing the same thing. But the idea of the lacrosse stick is better I think. .

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I like that! My dd was taught using a glove, basically accomplishing the same thing. But the idea of the lacrosse stick is better I think. .

Okay, I guess I need to be educated on this. What does a glove or lacrosse stick accomplish that a bat can't? DD was taught (by high level D1 successful slapper) proper footwork, and bunt off the last 2-3 inches of the bat, first thing, without any glove or lacrosse stick. After she could do that, then she was shown other swings. Just wondering what she might have missed.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Glove or stick teaches you to have a soft touch. The soft slap off the end of the bat , like you mentioned you need to learn. Sometimes you don't want to hit the ball , when slapping, bunting and dragging. You want to place it. We use the TCB balls when we practice the down slap or what we call the Whatley slap. If you can bounce the ball high into the air and have speed, there is no one that can get you out. Here is a tip for the first post. At the younger ages use the T's and then set up empty milk bottles as targets. This teaches them to place the ball. As FPMark posted ,teach them not to hit the sweet spot on the bat. Team USA slapping video demo's this.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
If they are able to understand what you are saying, I suggest teaching them how to hit first or at least teach them how to swing a bat. The more they know and understand about a basic swing, the more likely they are to appreciate learning how to bunt and slap. Also, I think it's very beneficial for players to know how a real swing should feel.

Dec 28, 2008
Keys:
1. Don't underestimate the difficulty of having them now see the ball from the opposite side of the plate and assume that just because they are the fastest on the team they are the most athletic and will pick that up at the same speed.

2. More important than footwork is the mental aspect of slapping and the fact that you have chosen them for speed. Their foot speed is only helpful when they put the ball on the ground. Their foot speed is no match for the opponents arm speed, or their ability to make a catch. While a lot of others believe focus on hitting/killing the ball first when developing a slapper, that's just never made sense to me because if they could hit for power then they likely wouldn't have been converted to a slapper.

3. In terms of footwork the key thing to start with is helping them stop doing what most humans do which is to look where they are running. They have to learn how to separate their eyes from their feet. There are no brick walls in front of the plate, no trees, no water falls etc. But they are naturally going to try and see where they are moving, and use their peripheral vision to see the ball. Challenge them to get over that fear by working on it repeatedly via drills.

4. The slide step, or stepping back accomplishes two things if it's done right: It helps with timing, and it clears the path for the left leg to come past the hips with more speed. That aspect of it can be practiced all the time, anywhere so that it becomes muscle memory.

5. One small thing I always do in terms of footwork is to have the girls turn to their left to return to the plate to practice again. Rather than what they would naturally do which is turn to their right towards first base. I want to break that thought process (turning to first to run before they hit the ball) from the first time they start moving. Simple rule: If they don't make contact, they don't turn to first base side. Even just practicing the steps.

Sep 3, 2009
Okay, I guess I need to be educated on this. What does a glove or lacrosse stick accomplish that a bat can't? DD was taught (by high level D1 successful slapper) proper footwork, and bunt off the last 2-3 inches of the bat, first thing, without any glove or lacrosse stick. After she could do that, then she was shown other swings. Just wondering what she might have missed.

SBFAMILY's explanation is spot on. Another drill my dd's instructor did, was have her 'hit' the ball with the knob of the bat, just moving it down to the ball. Once she could get the ball consistently, then she started having her try to place it. Nothing fast out of a machine, this was all just front toss drills. It's not just about hitting and placing the ball, it also helps them with timing. Which for a slapper, is huge.

Jun 3, 2010
My dd has the green light now to either drag or slap. Being 10, she just has a basic slap and drag,but she gets the biggest kick out of laying a drag bunt down the third base line.

Sep 3, 2009
My dd has the green light now to either drag or slap. Being 10, she just has a basic slap and drag,but she gets the biggest kick out of laying a drag bunt down the third base line.

I don't think I've ever smiled more, than seeing a slapper put down a nice drag, when the defense was just waiting for a slap to come out to them. The confused looks are priceless.

May 1, 2011
The two girls that I chose struggled at first. Both have better swings from the left side. We spent the first two weeks just hitting balls off the tee from a regular stance, and then did some front toss just so they could get used to tracking the ball from the other side. One of them is a phenomenal bunter, and the other one has yet to strike out, and has actually started to get a kick out of placing the ball. I like the milk jug thing where they try and place the ball at a specific target. The hardest thing I've come across is getting them to learn that while in the on deck circle, to time the pitcher and get there footwork down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks