Slap Hitting Tips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
I think I'm going to start Tuesday by just placing a ball on a tee and letting these girls work on hitting the ball while in motion just to get a feel for it. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks a million.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Ditto on the India Chiles videos. Good stuff.

Main things to remember with slapping,.. 1) Keep shoulders square to plate as you step,.. 2) Hit the ball when the left foot hits the ground after crossing over,... 3) Drop bat and run like crazy as soon as you make contact.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
So, it's taken a year to finally convince DD's coach (also my Brother-In-Law) that everything he ever was taught about hitting is now OFFICIALLY wrong. Problem is, I convinced him so well, that I have now earned a spot as the Hittng Coach. I've soaked up all kinds of information, and spoken with several hitting coaches over the past year, and have really turned some little girls around (part of the reason that he now trusts what I'm saying). Currently working with the team and getting good results, but I have 3 little girls that we NEED to turn around to the left side. All three have the fastest times on the team home to first, motors that won't quit, and very good hand eye coordination. Problem is the footwork. Have watched a few instructional videos, and some footage at some college girls. It seems simple enough (I'm sure I'm understating), but would love some input on some good drills/verbal cues. I think I'm going to start Tuesday by just placing a ball on a tee and letting these girls work on hitting the ball while in motion just to get a feel for it. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks a million.

This helps anyone learning to hit from the other side.

May 1, 2011
Hitting the ball when left foot hits the ground....definately something that I've noticed in every video I've seen. Thanks for stamping that fact. I've seen the drop step with the right foot, and then I've also seen girls step back with the left foot first, and then drop the right directly after that. What's the difference? Also, slap bunting and slap hitting...same footwork?

Josh

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
I’ve often wondered if a beginning slap hitter would benefit from using a lacrosse stick as part of their initial work outs. After learning the basic footwork, do you think that having a lacrosse stick, with its netted basket at it’s end, would help the new student’s hand eye coordination as well as how to control a pitched ball? Any opinions?

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Hitting the ball when left foot hits the ground....definately something that I've noticed in every video I've seen. Thanks for stamping that fact. I've seen the drop step with the right foot, and then I've also seen girls step back with the left foot first, and then drop the right directly after that. What's the difference? Also, slap bunting and slap hitting...same footwork?

Josh

When slapping, one thing to consider is not giving away which type of slap is comming, so keeping footwork consistant is good. One of the things I like about the India Chiles videos is the short drop step of the right foot. It actually allows the ability to disguise the slap with hip coil followed by the short drop step that could be seen as a stride untill the foot lands and the left foot comes up to cross over.

The one thing I don't like about her video is teaching to step towards the plate with the left foot on the cross over. When slappers get called out for stepping out of the box, normally it is for stepping in front of home plate. When you say some step back with the left foot before the right foot drop steps, (I assume you mean away from the plate not toward the catcher), this may be because they are trying to keep from stepping out of the box.

When the rt foot drops back, be sure the toes stay pointing toward the plate, not towards the pitcher. Left foot crosses over toes point to 5-6 hole. Practice hitting from Tee and front toss from this foot position, keeping the shoulders from flying open untill the swing. Practice rocking weight from rear foot (which is now the right foot) to the front foot (left foot) and hitting the ball when the weight gets to the left foot. Don't lock the front leg, keep it bent, you want to be able to keep running.

Hope that helps, good luck!!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Yes on the Lacrosse stick. I have one that I used around 4 years ago when my dd was learning to slap. One of the best college coaches that teaches slapping in our area has one in her clinics. I agree on not giving away the slap. Keep in mind you should be able to bunt, slap, power slap, drag bunt, and duck hit all with the same foot work. College's film kids and many do give away the slap , because they change the foot work. DD does not use a drop step, she had some very good teachers that played the game at the elite level.

Sep 3, 2009
Like others have said, have them master the footwork first. The footwork should be consistent, and will help them with their timing. As far as giving away that they're slapping.. I wouldn't worry about it. You might have a def call out for a slap, but they will have no idea what's really going to happen. A good slapper can show slap, and do a shuffle hit, drag, hard slap, soft slap, chop slap, etc. Rather than have them do go to the plate with one objective, teach them what to do based on the defense. Wanna see a coach go out of his mind?? First at bat and your slapper shows slap and puts a hard slap out into shallow OF. Next at bat, your slapper is in the same position, IF moves back, OF moves in. Put a dinker down, or drag, and watch the confused looks on the def. Third at bat... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45