Slap Hitting Struggle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Indiana
i have a powerpoint file and pdf files. it seems the forum will not accept any powerpoint files or any pdf greater than 19.5 kb.

I have go4um stuff and it is really good. As for making the change to lefty my daughter did it when she was half way through her 9u season. She told me just about a month ago it wasn't until almost the end of her 10u season did she feel comfortable over there. She was still successful during her 10u year, but to just feel "comfortable" on the left side took over a year and thousands of swings. Give it time.

Nov 1, 2009
We have a couple of slappers that we have converted to the left side but it was because they were tremendous defenders but not really good hitters. We play pretty good competition and the reality is slapping is an out in most cases just like any other ground ball. Where speed really comes into play is when you can score from first on a ball in the gap or first to third on any hit. Speed on the bases is great but really only matters if you get on.

If you look at college the slap is fading fast and the teams are getting up there and pounding the ball. If your daughter is that good and that fast and she doesn't want to slap then find a different travel team. I don't know if you have noticed but there are a lot more hitters than slappers at the next level and as long as they keep moving the mound back nothing will change.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I am skeptical of any time a new coach says that a successful player has to change something in order to make it to the next level.
Unlike everyone else, I think slapping from the right can be valuable in that no one will expect it. then when they know you can do it, they don't know when you'll do it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
We have a couple of slappers that we have converted to the left side but it was because they were tremendous defenders but not really good hitters. We play pretty good competition and the reality is slapping is an out in most cases just like any other ground ball. Where speed really comes into play is when you can score from first on a ball in the gap or first to third on any hit. Speed on the bases is great but really only matters if you get on.

If you look at college the slap is fading fast and the teams are getting up there and pounding the ball. If your daughter is that good and that fast and she doesn't want to slap then find a different travel team. I don't know if you have noticed but there are a lot more hitters than slappers at the next level and as long as they keep moving the mound back nothing will change.

I don't necessarily agree with this. IF the girl really does have "slapper speed", then a proper "soft slap" to the short-stop should get the slapper on base safely the majority of the times she hits the ball correctly. A soft-slap is a direct challenge to the short-stop. To be successful, however, the slapper needs to be able to hard slap, drag, and power slap as well to keep the defense unable to adjust to just the soft slap. It's the hard slaps that go in the gaps, the soft slaps go right towards SS.

-W

Jun 16, 2011
Polson, MT
It sounds like your daughter is exceptionally fast and gifted in that area. If she is struggling with her feet the rest of the slap will never be what it needs to be. The first thing to understand is that in the beginning she is training her muscles and learning a new pattern from the brain to the muscle so if the pattern is incorrect from the beginning the bad habits will only increase. The first priority should be to get the foot work down correctly. What I have found to be the most successful way to get the footwork down is to take the bat out of her hands, put her glove on her hand and take the pitches either from a pitching machine or from a live pitcher and rather than focus on the bat all she needs to do is work on her feet and catch the ball with her glove.

This accomplishes many things:
1. Lets her focus on the ball and her feet rather than everything at once.
2. Keeps her eye on the ball from the left side and more focused to watch the ball through the entire zone.
3. Builds confidence on the left hand side of the plate to "SEE THE BALL"

I know it sounds crazy and of course there will be alot of balls down and away or inside and in that will be difficult to catch but I can almost guarantee that when the footwork comes together with this drill adding the bat at after she masters this drill will be simply a matter of watching the ball to the bat, staying inside the ball and getting on base.

The main key to this drill is to hold the glove and gloveless hand just as she would with a bat in her hands, get the footwork down and catch the ball while going towards the pitch. If she is fading, "getting out of the box towards the base rather than towards the pitcher" this will break that habit quickly. Jessica Mendoza has some videos on youtube that explain her footwork and cross over. Kids will retain 80% of what they see and only 20% of what they hear.

HOPE IT WORKS OUT!

Hope that helps!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Here's another way to look at the conversion. There are a lot of right-handed hitters who don't have power but can hit the ball into the gaps. Pretty much any right-handed hitter with good mechanics should be able to do that.

But every coach - high school, summer, college - wants a slapper who can get from home to first in 2.7 seconds. She will stand out immediately, and all else being equal, or nearly equal, she will gain the advantage. Assuming she can put the ball in play.

I did this with one of the girls on my team. She is 14, and was clocked with 3.0 speed home to first. Last year she was a weak right-handed hitter, didn't get on base much. I suggested we switch her to the left side.

We worked on it over the winter. At first, it was a little awkward for her. She struggled a bit to get the coordination down. But little by little it got easier for her.

Now when she holds a bat right-handed she says THAT feels awkward. Left-handed is more comfortable. She went from having the fewest at-bats on the team last year to hitting in the #2 slot. She has a good batting average (above .400) with a better on-base percentage. She has enough speed to reach on error if the infield bobbles the ball.

Her parents are very happy she made the switch and so is she. I predict good things for her in the future.

Jun 3, 2010
I have been a student of the slap game for the last 1.5 years. I have watched every thing I could get my hands, listened to anyone who might know something, watched every player I could at any level I could perform there slap hitting.

Here is what I have learned.

1. If your drop step goes all the way back to the rear foot, when your DD does her cross over, her body will end up in the same place as she started and no closer to the pitcher. Work on a drop step of just 4 or 5 inches. Put marks on your living room floor, and have your DD do it both ways, when you use the shorter drop step, the batter will end up a foot closer to the pithcer on the crossover.

2. Teach them to angle the crossover foot toward the SS instead of the pitcher.

3. Use the same bat as you would if she was trying to hit the ball over a 220' fence. My 9 yr old is now swinging an Easton Stealth 30/20 from the left side. she can either hit it by you, over you or drop it in front of you.

4. when they get one strike on them, don't always tell them to swap back to the right side. Let them battle from the left side.

5. Younger hitters are less selective from the left side. Mine hardly ever sees a pitch she doesnt like.

6. 99 44/100 % of the people on the Internet that give all this free slap hitting info, dont know a dang thing or at least have never had a DD that was trying to learn it.

7. Take a look at what Tennessee teaches, I really like it.

8. Use the Hanson principle. But study more current swings, slap hitting is evolving just like what it taught with standard swing mechanics.

9. Never overlook hitting off a T for slap hitters

10. Most every one is an expert on slapping, especially the know it all wife of your local travel ball coach, who has a DD that is just an average pitcher, much less a hitter.

One year ago, I was in your shoes asking questions and not knowing what was right or wrong. Keep an open mind and prepare to change and tweek the mechanics as you go along.

Jul 20, 2010
Jamia Reid from Cal was a "late" crossover from righty to leftie. At 16U Nationals she was still hitting righty. I think it was when she went to the Firecrackers that she went full time to the left side. She's had pretty good success. World class speed, terrific athlete.
Sounds a lot like the young lady in this thread.

14 yrs old,,a great time to make the move. It is my opinion only mind you.,

The coordination of things is awkward, very awkward, and why many abandon the thought. They will (almost always) strike out a little more at first,,,especially if you're talking about moving a 14 yr old to the Gold level. Once the footwork becomes a part of them banging the ball into play becomes more routine and pretty darned exciting even when hit to the right side if the 2b has to move to her right at all. Especially with the type of speed indicated here.

My own daughter turned around at age 14. She would walk thru the house constantly working on her approach. No regrets here.

I personally think this is a good age because, well, for one, they're just a bit stronger and a bit past the "new born giraffe" stage. Meaning they have a bit more body awareness and can handle the change. With her being a track star / sprinter she's got a good "running start" (ha) into this.

Just one Dad here saying that if she shows the "aptitude" for it, she'll learn to hit as well as slap from the left side.

Regarding hitting along with slapping---Natasha only hit away late in her career. Banged it into play ran fast. Stole second, got bunted to third, scored ....a lot. Just teasin' a little. But she didn't swing away much at all until later in her career.

Second to last thing, may I ask....What does your daughter say about it? A lot of it will be up to her...her willingness.

Last thing. :)
There's a young lady here locally that is a righty thrower, lefty slapper / hitter. She attends Grand Canyon University. She was a track star in high school. Got to coach her for the last two years. Scary on the bases. She learned to hit first from the left side, then slap. While I don't think it's an exact science either way, it worked for her.

Sep 3, 2009
I have been a student of the slap game for the last 1.5 years. I have watched every thing I could get my hands, listened to anyone who might know something, watched every player I could at any level I could perform there slap hitting.

Here is what I have learned.

1. If your drop step goes all the way back to the rear foot, when your DD does her cross over, her body will end up in the same place as she started and no closer to the pitcher. Work on a drop step of just 4 or 5 inches. Put marks on your living room floor, and have your DD do it both ways, when you use the shorter drop step, the batter will end up a foot closer to the pithcer on the crossover.

2. Teach them to angle the crossover foot toward the SS instead of the pitcher.

3. Use the same bat as you would if she was trying to hit the ball over a 220' fence. My 9 yr old is now swinging an Easton Stealth 30/20 from the left side. she can either hit it by you, over you or drop it in front of you.

4. when they get one strike on them, don't always tell them to swap back to the right side. Let them battle from the left side.

5. Younger hitters are less selective from the left side. Mine hardly ever sees a pitch she doesnt like.

6. 99 44/100 % of the people on the Internet that give all this free slap hitting info, dont know a dang thing or at least have never had a DD that was trying to learn it.

7. Take a look at what Tennessee teaches, I really like it.

8. Use the Hanson principle. But study more current swings, slap hitting is evolving just like what it taught with standard swing mechanics.

9. Never overlook hitting off a T for slap hitters

10. Most every one is an expert on slapping, especially the know it all wife of your local travel ball coach, who has a DD that is just an average pitcher, much less a hitter.

One year ago, I was in your shoes asking questions and not knowing what was right or wrong. Keep an open mind and prepare to change and tweek the mechanics as you go along.

This is STICKY material here; especially #6. :)

To the OP, 4 weeks is nothing... give it time. If she wants to be a slapper, I personally think she should switch to the left side completely. Many people may tell you not to, it will upset her hitting, etc. I know a D1 all american collegiate slapper, that was switched and turned into a slapper when she showed up for college. At 14 your dd still has plenty of time. Get her to a "slapping coach"; not just some guy who will tell her to start running out of the box and swing the bat. If you can't find one, contact some local college coaches, and ask them who they would recommend. Ask some higher level slappers in your area who they're taking lessons from.

My dd started with the lessons, i don't think her instructor even had her swing a bat in her lessons until the 4th week. Just worked on footwoork, and situation stuff. I know that with my dd, once she moved to the left permanently, her BA dropped for a while as she got comfortable. BE PATIENT. Once your dd is comfortable, move her to the left, and stay there. That speed of hers, is a gift from god. Use it. :)

The best thing is to see your dd choked up and in the box, and looking at the confused DEF moving around, and their coaches barking out instructions... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619