Slap Hitting Struggle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Hello Newbie Here my daughter is 14 at a recent try out she ran a 2.7 seconds from home to first. This was for 18 u gold team she has been a right hand hitter with good power no home run capability ,but line drive. The coach tells me if she wants to play next level she needs to switch to become a slapper. I have started her with lesson of about 4 weeks sge has hit the ball she has good hand eye , but her foot work is were she struggles. She doesnt run thru the picth she stops at the plate then swings she was 2-6 last tourney and seems very upset. Any info would help?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She needs to see the Larry Ray information, either his DVD or some of the You Tube stuff. Look for Jessica Mendoza , too.

What bat is she using?

This is going to take awhile for her to learn, but I am guessing that she has 4 years.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Converting over to the left-side, to play at a high level, isn't a simple matter. To be truly effective you still need to be able to 'swing away'. In addition to picking up slapping (hard slap, soft slap, drag bunt) you'll also need to learn to swing away from the left-side.

May 1, 2011
She needs to see the Larry Ray information, either his DVD or some of the You Tube stuff. Look for Jessica Mendoza , too.

What bat is she using?

This is going to take awhile for her to learn, but I am guessing that she has 4 years.

She using her regular worth bat that she has use before when she hit right hand. I prefer her to bat right as she has for the last 4 years. The coach insist with her speed she needs to be a slapper.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She using her regular worth bat that she has use before when she hit right hand. I prefer her to bat right as she has for the last 4 years. The coach insist with her speed she needs to be a slapper.

Let's go over this.

Player A: Runs Home-to-1B in 2.7secs. BA=0.350 / SLG=0.420

Player B: Runs Home-to-1B in 3.1secs. BA=0.350 / SLG=0.420

Which player would the coach prefer? The faster player or slower player?

Most coaches, if they thought about it, would prefer to have the hitter with the faster wheels.

That said ... it never ceases to amaze me that a player that is fast ends up being punished for being fast.

It isn't like adding slapping to one's tool set is a small undertaking. It is a serious commitment. You will want to become as accomplished swinging away from the left-side as you currently are from the right side ... and being that this isn't from your dominate side, expect it to be a significant effort. If your swing took years to get where it is at on the right-side, then don't expect to get to the same level on the left-side overnight. In addition, learning the finer points of soft slaps, hard slaps & drag bunts, is a significant task.

Slapping adds an exciting element to the game ... but one shouldn't have to become a slapper simply because they are fast. Good hitters, that are also fast, are .... .... .... wellll, they are good hitters that are fast. Given a choice between a good hitter that is fast, and a good hitter that is slow, I'd personally go with the good hitter that is fast.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
2.7 to first is fast, really fast from the right hand box. From the left she would be approaching Caitlin Lowe, Natasha Watley speed.

May 1, 2011
2.7 to first is fast, really fast from the right hand box. From the left she would be approaching Caitlin Lowe, Natasha Watley speed.

Yea she runs AAU Track when we went to the try out and the coach saw her speed he said it was one of the faster times he has seen for a 14 year old. I don't like the fact that he is saying she must switch to play softball at the next level. Like I said she not a home run hitter but she has powers to hit the ball in the gap and good hand eye.

Oct 25, 2009
I feel like FFS does but I've seen it done quite a few times and they become quite successful. Two of the main ones that come to mind didn't switch until HS and were very successful. One went D1 last year; the other is a brainiac and softball won't see her.

It takes lots and lots of practice to develop a really good slapper. But, like FFS, says speed has it's own rewards.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
You can't expect a lot after just 4 weeks. You both need to be of the mindset that slapping is going to help her reach her potential in
the long run and just go about working at it. If she has speed, hand-eye coordination and work habits then she will get there. it ususally takes 6 - 12 months or about 10,000 swings to get so that she can drag bunt, soft slap, hard slap and have a passable full swing. From that point she will be comfortable and positioned to add all the other plays that slappers have in their toolbox.

The stopping to hit problem is common with new slappers. If they are taught the correct footwork concepts, it will quickly be a non-issue.

If you are interested, I can send you some free information that I provide to parents/coaches who want to work with a player on slapping but aren't quite sure how to go about it. email me at slaphit@aol.com

Oct 25, 2009
You can't expect a lot after just 4 weeks. You both need to be of the mindset that slapping is going to help her reach her potential in
the long run and just go about working at it. If she has speed, hand-eye coordination and work habits then she will get there. it ususally takes 6 - 12 months or about 10,000 swings to get so that she can drag bunt, soft slap, hard slap and have a passable full swing. From that point she will be comfortable and positioned to add all the other plays that slappers have in their toolbox.

The stopping to hit problem is common with new slappers. If they are taught the correct footwork concepts, it will quickly be a non-issue.

If you are interested, I can send you some free information that I provide to parents/coaches who want to work with a player on slapping but aren't quite sure how to go about it. email me at slaphit@aol.com

Any way you would consider posting that info on here? I'll bet many would be interested. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1