Skipping practice to sub for another team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I don't really expect coaches to contact each other about it but I do think the parents should be open with everyone. At least around here it's a small softball world and if you pick up without telling your coach it will get back to him and he will not be happy at being deceived (I've seen this happen, not cool).
It's a small softball world everywhere.

I travel up and down the coast on recruiting trips all the time. When I go to a tournament in any town, it is amazing how much I can learn about any player and her family in just 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2016
Actually, depending on the association, if a player is listed on more than one roster, it is a violation and can carry consequences for the player/team(s) involved. In other associations, there is a max number of times a player can be added removed.
Usssa is pretty lax, but if memory serves, asa and Nsa are pretty rigid.
Not to mention what little angels softball mentioned.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
The coaches should be fine with a couple girls missing a practice to play a game. The guest players will improve by playing a game. The vacancies the guest players leave will open oportunities for the girls not asked to guest play. Its a win win.

Jun 12, 2015
That might depend on the quality of the practices though. I feel like on our team, the girls get a LOT out of the practices. Probably more than they'd get out of playing a couple of extra games.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD has guested a lot over the years. We always talk to her coach about her going and honestly have never had a coach that didn't endorse it wholeheartedly. It has meant that she has missed practices (and in a couple cases, rec games) but in exchange she has gotten high level game time and the opportunity to play with different players as well as benefit from the input of different coaches.

But always be up front and honest about it.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I agree that the HC should be asked before actually missing practice to go sub for another team. Many coaches will not have a problem with it but sometimes, as mentioned above, a particular practice may be important for whatever reason and the HC may not want the player to miss it. IMO, getting high level game time is more important than practicing with a lower tier team. In this particular situation, it seems as if the opposite is true unless I missed something. Therefore, I would be hard pressed to give the okay in this particular situation with the caveat that the player was a #3 or #4 pitcher on my team and would be getting a lot of circle time with the other team which would allow her to develop her skills. I would also be hard pressed again to let them do it every weekend. If the other team needs a full time sub every weekend, then they should be looking to pick up extra players so that they can remain viable as a team. If they can't find them, then maybe they should just fold and try and place their players with other teams or combine with another team that's also short players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom