SHOWCASE VS INVTATIONAL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2015
DD team is going to a tournament next month. The website shows a showcase and an invitational. What is the difference? Pros and cons?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
An invitational means it's not open for any team to just sign up. You have to be invited by the organizers. A showcase means it's probably a set number of games for every team, rather than playing elimination games to a tournament champion. Showcase rules tend to be more relaxed as far as player subs and lineup. Theoretically, there will be college coaches in attendance scouting for players.

Jun 1, 2015
One area TB organization does two college showcases each year (Father's Day and Columbus Day weekends). For us umpires, it's a BREEZE: No lineup cards exchanged, just a coin flip for home and away, free substitution on defense, courtesy runners/pinch runners for anyone - you want a girl to bat two times in a row because a scout from her #1 is there? Sure thing, coach! Just 1:20 drop-dead time limit. We officials are basically there to call ball/strike, fair/foul, safe/out. Usually 5 game guarantee for the weekend for the teams.

The only DISADVANTAGE of these games? Because they don't mean anything (in terms of no elimination/tournament) for the weekend, the games tend to DRAG since they are like competitive scrimmages. The teams know there's no standings or hardware getting dished out at the end of Sunday, so there's not that sense of urgency to start an inning or anything, so things do tend to drag as games go on.

Apr 16, 2013
Eric F pretty much said it. Regular showcase anyone can show up. Invitational means you have to be invited. Any invitational my DD's team has been invited to, was a dang good showcase. Top teams, real competition, and lots of college coaches around. You also have a long list of colleges attending, so you can make contacts ahead of time.

Nov 4, 2015
Thanks for the replies. I guess you need to be in a very recognized organization to get the invites. Will see how it goes.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for the replies. I guess you need to be in a very recognized organization to get the invites. Will see how it goes.

Maybe. Maybe not. My DD's team was invited to TC Nationals (invite only tournament) last summer, which was stacked with the top teams from the top orgs in So Cal. My DD's team is part of a well-known, but smaller org, and they aren't the top team for their age group in the org. I'm pretty sure we were a last-minute invite as bracket-filler. As expected, we got stomped by the top teams. They got to show off. We got good experience. We also got to get our team flyer in the hands of coaches that we probably wouldn't have otherwise seen, and I believe one of our '22s got some specific interest because of that event. We went into PGF better prepared than we would have been without that experience.

Jun 19, 2016
Some of the invitationals are not much of an invite. When you have 24 spots and 20 teams signed up than you can pretty much be sure they took everyone.

As far as showcases I think to depends on the age. The number of 14U showcases popping up is nauseating.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As far as 14U showcases it has only been a couple years since they stopped early recruitment. So actually It is normal to have 14u showcasing. By the continued attendance of colleges showing up to watch 14U can say there is a reason for it still.

14u is an age bracket that has non High School players AND High school players in it, so it is not strange to start preparing for college type things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06