Shoulder pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2010
Daughter just turned 13 and has been pitching for a few years now. Throws in mid-50s. Usually throws about 45 mins, twice a week in off-season. She started having pain recently in the front part of her shoulder. Said when she rotates it feels like a cracking feeling in the front. I asked her how bad it hurts on a scale of 1-10; she said 6. Is shoulder pain common for most pitchers - what does everyone do to figure out what exactly is wrong and how to make it better? I'd appreciate some input.

Oct 10, 2010
She has a 15-20 minute warm up routine with pitching, and she said her warm up drills didn't hurt her arm, just when she started going with full rotation.

Oct 10, 2010
I think you might have wanted to know if she stretches, and sadly, pitching coach hasn't ever pushed that - I think we need to be doing that. And we need to know what stretches to do.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
See a doctor is the correct answer but this sounds like it might be a warm-up Issue.

There are quite a few posts on here about dynamic vs. static stretching.

Before she even starts her pitching drills have her do a dynamic stretching routine to loosen up her mussels. As the players get older this becomes more important.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
No, shoulder pain is not common.

The long head of the bicep tendon attaches attaches to the front of the shoulder. This injury is pretty common. She needs to see a doctor and she needs to stop pitching for a while.

IMHO, she needs to take a month off.

The attached picture shows the bicep. The long head of the bicep tendon is "5". The bicep is the most stressed muscle in softball pitching.

Attachments

• shoulder muscle.JPG
    shoulder muscle.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Pitchers should not have pain in their shoulder when they pitch- period. Crepitus maybe- that is not uncommon, and that is a cracking feeling that can occur (or be felt) with rotation of the shoulder- and that is not an issue as long as there is no pain associated with it. This could be a strain or inflammation, but either way, she should see a physician to rule out anything more problematic, and then stop until she is completely pain-free. Stopping now can prevent her from suffering a more serious injury that could sideline her for an extended period. I would also consider having someone check her mechanics to see if there is something going on that is causing this, and then also a pre-pitching warm-up for the shoulder such as "J-bands"

Nov 15, 2011
You might try going to a physical therapist who specializes in sports medicine before your doctor (if your insurance and PT providers allow). We have a great sports PT who works with both HS and the local D1 college athletes. Our insurance allows us to self refer and start with him. DD is currently seeing him for shoulder pain as well. She has some tendonitis and he has her doing some exercises to strengthen the small supporting muscles of the shoulder- something which is a problem for a lot of people- not just athletes. Definitely get in to see some type of medical professional!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You might try going to a physical therapist who specializes in sports medicine before your doctor (if your insurance and PT providers allow). We have a great sports PT who works with both HS and the local D1 college athletes. Our insurance allows us to self refer and start with him. DD is currently seeing him for shoulder pain as well. She has some tendonitis and he has her doing some exercises to strengthen the small supporting muscles of the shoulder- something which is a problem for a lot of people- not just athletes. Definitely get in to see some type of medical professional!

Where do you live where you can see a PT without a doctor's prescription?

Oct 10, 2010
Thank you all for the great tips. I called our local PT today and he got us in right away. He provides one free consultation for school athletes, no matter what grade! I was amazed at what I was seeing with him as he looked at her. For one thing - there were a lot of balance issues between her left and right sides, caused by all the throwing. He gave us several specific exercises to "rebalance" her, as he described it. I could see when she put her arms up against the wall, how much more space there was between her head and the arm she pitches with and her head and the other arm. He said the constant throwing motion has basically caused her shoulder blade on the one arm to be resting at an angle that it wouldn't normally rest at. So, part of the rebalancing is with exercises that will correct that or at least improve it. He also reinforced with her the huge importance of maintaining good posture all the time. It was amazing to me that all of this somehow tied directly in with the pain she's been experiencing in the front (shoulder area) as she describes it, but actually in a muscle that is underneath that area. I wish I'd have been smarter, because even with my itty bitty-science type brain, I could understand when he described it, a lot of what is happening. Great stuff! But scary too to see what so much pitching truly does to them. We're taking at least 3 weeks off from using any rotation as we do these exercises, but he said the drills she does without rotation would be fine. Great time of year to have this happen I guess - we can rest and enjoy the holiday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd