shoulder pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal - Please describe Leap and Drag vs. Stepping. Also, please explain how stepping produces more impact on the landing foot than leap and drag? Just a little confused. It seems to me, having both types of pitchers on our team, that the stepper has significantly less impact. I do agree that hips open, foot closed would produce enormous pressure on the knee. I'm questioning now what style my kid has and if her back problems are a result.

If I see a pitcher throw a pitch and her pivot foot does not lose contact with the rubber until the landing foot touches down; I have just seen a step style pitch.

If I see a pitcher throw a pitch and her pivot foot is PULLED forward of the pitcher's rubber BEFORE her stride foot touches down; I have just seen a leap and drag pitch.

You have two sets of force at work; forward momentum and gravity.

The stepper comes down with the foot somewhat flat to the ground. The higher that step is, the farther the foot comes down and the harder the force (that stomp) on the ankle and foot.

The leap and drag pitcher (pitching with good mechanics) has a very smooth and non-jarring landing. The foot comes down out in front farther and the force is easily absorbed as the majority of it is going in a forward motion and much less in a downward motion.

Your ankle, knee and hip is an excellent shock absorber when it comes to absorbing that forward energy, this is how we run and good leap and drag mechanics is no different. You go from standing still to running as fast as you can,,, but with just one step.

The pitchers that start as steppers and then, at some point, become too strong and/or aggressive for the step style mechanics can sometimes get into what I call a 'Pitching style limbo'. Their forward momentum and push off become too strong for their step style mechanics to contain and that pivot foot starts getting dragged a little forward of the rubber BEFORE the landing foot touches down. They are not throwing with step style mechanics any more however, their mechanics are not as strong as a leap and drag pitcher's mechanics SHOULD be for the most speed and smoothest motions.

This is one of the reasons many students were sent to me, to help them make that simple transition. If they are in 'Limbo' they know it or sense it and they can get really frustrated, enough to drop out of the sport.

Hope that all makes sense.

Hal

Jun 2, 2008
Excellent description - thanks.

No doubt my kid is a leap and drag pitcher. She has about a 7' stride, but occasionally lands with foot near perpendicular to the powerline. What are the risks with that - back pain?? Obviously knee problems. What else?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Excellent description - thanks.

No doubt my kid is a leap and drag pitcher. She has about a 7' stride, but occasionally lands with foot near perpendicular to the powerline. What are the risks with that - back pain?? Obviously knee problems. What else?

SEVEN FOOT STRIDE????

How tall is she??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13