Shoulder Injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JRH

Oct 6, 2009
I desperately need some advice or tips. Over a year ago I had my second shoulder surgery on my throwing army. Both times was due to a labral tear- that's the lining of your shoulder socket. Anyways my last surgery was a much better success than the first. I finished months and months of PT and have even started pitching, throwing, and hitting again. Every thing is great; I got my hitting back on track, my pitching is coming along, but for some reason I still can't throw over hand very well. I was always able to throw underhand even with the tears, but mechanically I just can't throw overhand with a ball in my hand. I can go through the motions fast or slow all day long with out a problem, but as soon as I pick up a ball or any size/weight I just can't mechanically do it. I have the weirdest hitch in my motion and it's very frustrating. With weight lifting, exercises, and practice it has gotten better, but still is no where near normal.

Any ideas on what could be wrong or what could help?

My surgeon says there is nothing wrong with my should-injury wise. He thinks it might just be from forcing my self to throw for year when it was hurt and now that's all I know how to do.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Go back to square one and learn how to throw overhand all over again. Start like you are 5 years old and do the drills.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
Like when you had your shoulder therapy, it's a step by step process on building your throwing mechanics. your shoulder hasn't been used in a while so stiffness occurred. Make sure to have proper warm-up prior to throwing and having flexibility exercises after working out or a game.

Like what sluggers says...go back to learning the proper basics. Sometimes it's also in our mechanics which cause us to have injuries.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I've talked about this before and also believe many of the shoulder surgies (too many at young ages!) are due to improper mechanics and OVERUSE injuries.
*** Few coaches walk the lanes when their teams are "Warming up" and few STOP girls throwing to CORRECT their mechanics. It drives me nuts when a player comes to us, (especially 1st year at Varsity!) and tells me her previous coaches have never said ANYTHING to her about her throwing mechanics and NOW that she is at Varsity, she thinks she is good enough NOT to change what she has been doing! (Especially teh ones who DROP the ball from her glove to her throwing hand, vice transferring the ball to her throwing hand!)
- another issue I've discussed with MANY coaches while in Arizona, Oklahoma and at our tournaments is the question of Overuse. I INQUIRE because I know southern states /west and Southwest girls are playing year round....... so as much as I don't like 50+ weeks a year work in ANY SPORT, I suspect coaches from the regions mentioned above may argue that this is not a valid reason.
CAL / Arizona /Texas / Florida coaches::: do you go 50+ weeks a year??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06